- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary £28,749.00 - £32,189.00 gross per year
Do you want to make a difference by securing justice in Scotland?
COPFS is currently looking for exceptional candidates to become Case Preparers and help us in securing justice and upholding the rule of law.
Case Preparer – Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
Post locations are within COPFS offices in Kilmarnock, Hamilton and Aberdeen.
Permanent, Full time
Starting salary would be £28,749 with the maximum salary on this scale being £32,189 subject to future COPFS pay awards.
We offer an excellent range of benefits which include:
- 25 days paid holiday + 11.5 public and privilege holidays (rising to 30 days paid holiday after 4 years)
- Flexible working hours.
- Civil Service pension with employer contributions.
- Family friendly benefits.
The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service is responsible for the investigation and prosecution of all crime in Scotland; the investigation of deaths which require further explanation; and the investigation of complaints against the police.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Case Preparer you will play an exciting role within Scotland’s sole prosecution service. You will support our lawyers in making recommendations on criminal proceedings in cases allocated to you. You will work closely with lawyers, police and other criminal justice partners to improve the efficient delivery of justice for local communities.
This is demanding role, requiring common sense and flexibility. Whilst there may be an opportunity to undertake a variety of duties within COPFS, the main function of the role is to prepare cases effectively for court and deal sensitively and appropriately with victims and witnesses.
You must be passionate about serving the public interest at all times; confident in taking decisions and making recommendations, based on assessment of all the available evidence; and be committed to meeting the diverse needs of victims and witnesses.
The majority of these posts will involve work on Sexual Crimes and applicants must be prepared to undertake work of this nature. Training will be provided to support successful candidates.
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA REQUIRED
- Literacy and fluency in English
- Sound knowledge of IT software packages
- Excellent communication and engagement skills with demonstrable experience of communicating at all levels verbally and in writing
- Be an effective, strong team player and be aware of and recognise the needs and pressures of others
- Be able to communicate effectively and sensitively at all times
- Analysis of complex information and drafting clear narratives
- Prioritisation of workload, showing judgement in reaching decisions
- An understanding of the work of COPFS and the criminal law system in Scotland
- Personal resilience to work with sensitive cases in a fast paced environment
If you have any queries please email recruitment.
Application packs are available to download from our website.
Please note that we do not accept CVs.
Selection will be competency based.
Closing date for these vacancies is: 26th of July 2019 at 5pm.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Please note that COPFS has exemptions from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974).
COPFS must also adhere to strict Civil Service and Cabinet Office Baseline Personnel Security Standards regarding nationality, identity and history verification rules.
- lawyers and attorneys