- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary £8.58 gross per hour
An opportunity has arisen for a Catering Assistant to join our Catering Department. Catering Assistants are responsible for providing support to the Catering section in the provision of services within the Catering Department and to College Facilities, both for the Fettes Trust and its subsidiary companies.
Specifically, the Catering Department provides three meals per day throughout term time and during the Summer Language School ‘term’ and one meal per day for primarily non-teaching staff at other times, subject to the needs of the department to close for training, cleaning and holidays.
Reporting to the Front of House Co-ordinators, and in their absence, the Breakfast Supervisor or Shift Leaders, Catering Assistants will be expected to be flexible in working hours, working five days out of seven, and be able to work additional hours as required for functions within the College. They should react quickly, efficiently and courteously to customer needs, and to the request of duty management, whilst maintaining the cleanliness, hygiene & safety of the Catering Facilities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Organise and control food service points as directed
- Deliver and serve meals and snacks with the correct items as requested, and exercise portion control as directed
- Setting out of dining tables, chairs and serving points
- Setting of tables, laying out of cutlery, coffee pots water jugs etc. e.g. for parents teas, meetings, societies, staff rooms, lunches & dinners
- Carry out general kitchen and dining room duties including washing up of containers, cutlery, glass, plates etc., clearing away equipment including tables, and chairs
- Clean kitchens, dining room and surrounding areas including large and small equipment, all work surfaces, furniture, floors and walls
- Provide excellent levels of customer care at all times
- Basic preparation of food and beverages including vegetables and snacks using appropriate equipment, and as directed by senior chefs
- Comply with food hygiene and health and safety regulations and procedures
- Any other reasonable duties as required in the provision of Catering Services
This is a description of the job as it is presently constituted. The duties and responsibilities are intended to give a broad indication of the variety of tasks the post holder may be asked to undertake. It is not an exhaustive list of activities, and staff may be asked to carry out duties commensurate with the grade of the post. All staff are expected to accept a reasonable amount of overtime if requested from time to time. We reserve the right to adjust employee’ shifts to cover the requirements of our business and cover annual holidays.
- Have a genuine passion for working in the catering service sector
- Have a passion in providing excellent customer service
- Ideally, have a strong background in a similarly high volume / high quality establishment and have excellent time keeping and time management skills
- Be a competent multi-tasker, who is able to work under pressure, and as part of a happy and committed team
- An Elementary Food Hygiene qualification would be preferable. Some experience of Allergen Legislation and knowledge of special diets would be useful
- Be aware of Health & Safety requirements within a catering environment
- The demands of this role include the ability to be on your feet for the daily rostered hours and a high level of manual handling and physical dexterity. A capacity to deal with the requirements and demands of meeting service deadlines is required.
You will be entitled to 30 days’ holiday during the School Year (September to August) Holidays will therefore ordinarily be taken outside term time and only during the term by exception and by prior agreement with the Catering Manager.
You will be opted in to the Fettes Trust Non-Teaching Staff Pension Scheme after 3 months service. This scheme is a money purchase one and full details of it and your options will be made available to you prior to your opt-in date. The Fettes Trust will contribute to the scheme and your contribution will be subject to the minimum overall combined employer and employee contribution limits set by the Pensions Regulator. Further details will be outlined in the contract of employment.
Lunchtime meals may be taken in the Dining Hall free of charge during term time and when catering is provided and at other times, when catering is provided and you are on duty. Parking is free of charge within the campus grounds. Gym membership at Westwoods Health Club is also available.
The salary for this role is £8.58 per hour for a 35 hour working week.
The Catering Department operates a 3-month probationary period for all new members of staff, after which full company benefits such as non-contributory pension and health club membership apply. Fettes College reserves the right to extend a probationary period to six months, after agreement with the employee, upon a 3-month probationary appraisal, should this be deemed necessary.
New staff at Fettes join a friendly and supportive team with a vibrant mixture of age and experience. We value every member of staff’s contribution to the life of the School.
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role.
An offer of employment will be subject to two satisfactory references being obtained from your referees and a clean report being obtained on you from the Disclosure Scotland PVG Scheme in view of the contact you will have with children during your normal duties.
- customer service