- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Dam Safety Inspector , £11.26 per hour, start ASAP, 3 months, Mon to Fri, based in Caerleon area
Your new company
A multi-award winning, nationally recognised Utilities company based in the Caerleon area.
Your new role
As a credible member of the Dam Safety Team you will:
- Take accountability for surveillance and reporting on the behaviour of specific dams as specified by the Dam Safety Engineers or Dam Safety Managers.
- Be responsible for managing one's own health and safety and meeting exacting health and safety standards.
- Be a team player, who understands the importance of ownership and accountability.
- Hold a current full driving licence.
- Be physically fit.
As a Dam Safety Inspector you will:
- Be responsible for undertaking a round of specific dams, taking measurements such as water levels, piezometers and drainage flows, and undertaking a visual surveillance of checking dam structures.
- Be responsible for inputting data on to forms according to the Dam Safety Procedures.
- Be responsible for immediately reporting any changes or abnormal behaviour of these dams to a Dam Safety Engineers or the Dam Safety Managers.
- Undertake assigned activities to ensure compliance with the Company's Dam Safety Procedures and the Reservoirs Act.
- Carry out minor repair and maintenance works such as pointing spillways, greasing valve spindles, installing signs and repairing fences, generally related to the safety of the Company's dams and reservoirs as specified by the Dam Safety Engineers or Dam Safety Managers.
- Carry out valve turning operations as directed by the Dam Safety Engineers or Dam Safety Managers including confined spaces entry into tunnels and shafts.
- Advise the Dam Safety Technician, Engineers or Managers on any matters relating to changes or abnormal behaviour relating to dam safety and the reservoir in general.
- Ensure that all dam safety activities are undertaken in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner.
- Ensure that, in accordance with the Reservoirs Act and the Company's Dam Safety Procedures, all forms and checklists are maintained and submitted in a timely manner to the Dam Safety Engineers.
- Be responsible for one's own health and safety management.
- Take part, as directed, in the event of an emergency occurring at any of the Company's reservoirs.
- Be an effective team player, supporting other team colleagues to improve business
- Carry out other duties, as required, to meet business needs.
What you'll need to succeed
- Be physically fit
- Hold a full current driving licence
- Able to demonstrate effective management of site health and safety and Company and legislative procedures
- Able to communicate, effectively, with internal and external bodies working to the safety and maintenance of dams and reservoirs
- A team player who understands the importance of ownership and accountability
- Has the ability to plan, manage and undertake minor maintenance activities in a safe manner
- Has the ability to recognise change and defects in dam structures, which may lead to potential incidents
What you'll get in return
You will get the opportunity to work for one of Wales' leading organisations This role is to start ASAP and is expected to last around 3 months. Hours of work are 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday, working between the hours of 7am to 5pm.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.