- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- UNITED KINGDOM, GB
Job Title: Warehouse Manager
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Location: EMERGE, New Smithfield Market, Openshaw, Manchester M11 2WJ
Hours: 37.5 per week
Salary: £23,000 starting salary
To manage the day to day operations of the FareShare Greater Manchester warehouse, which
handles thousands of tonnes of surplus good food from the UK supply chain on an annual basis.
Tasks and Responsibilities
1. To provide agile day to day management of the FareShare GM warehouse including the
co-ordination of daily work schedules and activities.
2. Ensure that all shifts are planned, controlled and staffed, and be prepared to work at short
notice providing cover for shifts on occasion, including driving or navigating.
3. Provide a well organised, calm and friendly working environment for volunteers, staff and
visitors that promotes good morale and team work.
4. Manage and use the in-house stock management database ‘Gladys’, with responsibility for the
training of warehouse-focused staff and volunteers on the database.
5. Maintain good relations and communications with logistics providers, food donors and
FareShare Community Food Members in receipt of FareShare foods.
6. Promote on and off site safe driving and delivery / collection practices, and ensure that the
vans are roadworthy and legal (taxed and insured) and operating in accordance with the
EMERGE transport management plan.
7. Work with the Operations Manager to improve existing safe working systems and activities,
and develop new operational/logistic activity, leading on implementation as required.
8. Be responsible for the Health & Safety and security of the project, including warehouse,
vehicles, staff and volunteers, visitors including Community Food Members collecting food.
9. Ensure daily compliance with all FareShare UK policies and procedures and industry
standards as required by food donors and regulators.
10. To ensure that all staff, and volunteers adhere to the policies and procedures of EMERGE and
FareShare Greater Manchester including safeguarding and the code of conduct.
11. To comply with monitoring and evaluation systems as required for the project’s activities and
report regularly to the Operations Manager.
Part of EMERGE 3Rs
12. To promote excellent customer care and ensure the service is delivered in ways that promote
dignity and respect for others.
13. Supervise the warehouse staff on a day to day basis, ensuring that all staff are aware of their
responsibilities and are able to carry them out; and be responsible for performance reviews
14. Work with the Operations Manager to train volunteers and other work placement trainees
within the warehouse.
15. To liaise with the Volunteering Team to assist in the co-ordination of the volunteer rota in order
to cover for the needs of the team.
16. Supervise and support volunteers on a day to day basis in ways that encourage their
engagement, development and progression.
17. To carry out any other duties which may be reasonably requested.
Place of Work: EMERGE and FareShare Greater Manchester, Units E1- 8, New Smithfield
Market, M11 2WJ.
Hours: Up to 37.5 hours a week within the opening hours of 8.30am – 4.30 pm Monday
to Friday. Some Saturday working will be required.
Contract: Until 31st March 2021 in the first instance.
Holidays: 22 Days a year plus Bank Holidays
Part of EMERGE 3Rs
Warehouse Manager Person Specification
Person Specification Essential Desirable
Experience of working at a co-ordination, supervisory
or management level in one or more of the following
settings: food redistribution, warehousing, stock
management, a regulated environment.
Experience of being responsible for Health and Safety
In the work place, of promoting best practice and with
the ability to carry out risk assessments and provide
Excellent communication skills with a good standard
of English – verbal and written including the ability to
give briefings, short presentations, and facilitate group
A good understanding of food safety in the United
Kingdom and willingness to secure a Level 3
Certificate (if needed).
Experience of managing and supporting staff and
volunteers including the supervision of delegated
Excellent team working and leadership skills: Ability to
work as the leader of a busy team, promoting good
team morale, a can-do approach, and able to
de-escalate differences of opinion.
Ability to plan effectively, manage multiple priorities
and obligations to ensure daily objectives are
achieved and coordinate resources to ensure
deadlines are met.
Ability to use initiative, problem solve and make
competent decisions, recognising when an issue
needs to be shared with a senior manager.
A positive attitude and motivation