- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- HIGHLAND SCOTLAND
At QinetiQ we’re dedicated to defending sovereign capability, protecting lives and securing the vital interests of our customers.
We are a company of over 6,000 dedicated people providing technological and scientific expertise that helps our customers protect, improve and advance their vital interests. Working across every aspect of the life cycle of critical equipment and infrastructure, providing services and products that address our customers' most pressing challenges; our breadth and depth of experience spans many markets and industries.
Our team based at the QinetiQ British Underwater Test & Evaluation Centre (BUTEC) are seeking an Electrical/Electronics Engineer to join their existing team in Kyle of Lochalsh maintaining and supporting two underwater mobile acoustic target systems; the Autonomous Mobile Acoustic Submarine Simulator (AMASS) and Self-Propelled Acoustic Target Mod 1 (SPAT); plus a range of other associated equipment.
Purpose of the role:
• Undertake maintenance, repair, operation and calibration of Underwater Targets & their support & ancillary equipment as directed.
• Deployment & operation of equipment at sea
• Maintain technical knowledge and competency for UMAT Operations and Maintenance with;
• Work in the marine environment, on-board commercial and RN platforms. Seagoing activities on surface vessels.
• Use of group paperwork (Defect reporting & Record keeping) and Equipment Database data entry within a ISO9001:2000 environment.
• Setting up temporary turnaround facilities in the UK and abroad as required. Education / Qualification Requirements:
• Educated to minimum of HNC level in Electrical/Electronic engineering or equivalent.
• Experience of DC circuits, such as those used in small vehicles, in particular boats and other electric vehicles.
• Broad knowledge of electrical, electronic circuitry and components. and a demonstrated ability to work 'hands-on' from first principles to safely diagnose electrical and electronic issues (to board level) and implement prompt, effective and safe repair schemes.
• Ability to interpret Electronic and Electrical drawings. • Basic mechanical skills in order to assemble and disassemble the targets.
• Knowledge of maintenance principles.
• Be literate with the operation of computers and common software packages, in particular basic operating knowledge of Microsoft office Word and Excel (training could be provided). Advantageous, but not required initially (as training can be provided):
• STCW ‘95 Sea Survival Training.
• Experience of working in the marine environment and on-board surface ships.
• Ability to carry out safe isolation of electrical circuits in order to carry out maintenance.
• Knowledge of electrical, electronic circuitry and components.
• Battery maintenance for Lithium Ion Batteries & Silver Zinc Batteries.
• DC power drive systems.
• Open and closed loop control systems.
• Ability to use Electronic / Electrical drawing packages such as ORCAD, Autocad electrical / Solidworks electrical, schematic capture tools (Visio). Behavioural Requirements:
• Willingness to work in potential harsh working environment during winter.
• Willingness to undertake training to be competent in technical, environmental and health and safety issues applicable to the job.
• Willingness to travel when required to do so in support of Target detachments.
• Flexibility to support short notice trials and long working hours.
• Methodical, with attention to detail.
• Honesty, able to admit when a mistake has been made, embracing mistakes as a chance to positively learn. • Lateral thinker.
• Task and Team focussed, with a collaborative approach.
• High integrity.
• Risk aware.
• Able to follow processes and procedures.
• Present a good impression of a QinetiQ professional.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a unique organisation comprising experts in solving some of the world’s most challenging problems. We look for outstanding technical people, creative and analytical thinkers, decisions makers, influencers and excellent communicators.
Join us today.