- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Working as part of the shift operations team, reporting operationally to the contract supervisor, you will be expected to take a proactive role in the maintenance of the building electrical assets at Sheffield Hallam University, both through planned maintenance, compliance and reactive requests. As the Electrical Engineer, you will be key to the effective and continuous availability of the Electrical Services associated with all buildings within the SHU portfolio. You will provide electrical support to the contractor supervisor in maintaining and fault finding of the Electrical assets.
You should gain an understanding of the electrical services within the buildings and be able to use this knowledge to assist in system and plant fault identification and rectification. Part of your role will be to assist and carry out as a competent person both controlled and emergency switching of LV systems within the building.
Duties to include:
- To ensure site Electrical systems are operated and maintained to the required codes of practice and industry guidelines.
- Ensure the PPM’s for the as built equipment is fully maintained and carried out in a high calibre and on time.
- To carry out day-to-day maintenance and reactive issues relating to all the electrical equipment and assets.
- Complete information and feed back to computer based systems particularly the PPM system.
- Carry out fault identification/rectification and escalation when required on heating, ventilation and air conditioning issues.
- Installation and modification of site electrical services.
- Maintain effective communication to the Contract Supervisor including plant status, plant isolations, issues arising, ongoing works and standards of housekeeping.
- Ensure any parts required are clearly and accurately stated and any difficulties encountered on engineering activities are reported to the Contract Supervisor.
- Plant areas, workshops, stores, changing/rest areas etc. are kept to the highest level of housekeeping
- Physical Fitness
- A high level of initiative
- A smart presentable uniformed appearance
- Advanced communication skills with a full understanding of customer needs & expectations
- Ability to comprehend and act upon both verbal and written instructions
- Enthusiasm and demonstration of pro-activity, diligence and alertness, with the willingness to participate in appropriate training schemes
- Integrity, honesty and punctuality is also expected
Operation and trouble shooting for the following:
- Building Electrical Installation (associated panels, equipment, and circuits).
- Emergency lighting.
- Lighting Control system.
- Building Management Systems (BMS)
- Fire suppression and detection systems
- Air conditioning System, VAV, FCU’s and Chilled beams.
- AHU’s, Variable speed drives.
- Boilers and heating system.
- Generators and controls.
- Single and three phase motors.
- UPS system and associated control systems.
- Operation of LV systems (training and familiarisation with this system will be made available).
- Desired: HV systems qualification and familiarisation
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Building Services industry
- C&G qualified or equivalent in an electrical services/maintenance.
- 18th Edition IEE: Wiring & Installation competent
- Recognised training or apprenticeship
- Strong communication skills and the ability to deal with all levels of staff.
- Demonstrate a good understanding and be technically competent in all building services, in particular UPS, generators, static switches, water treatment, refrigeration and air conditioning.
- Proactive in achieving the highest standard of operation.
- Demonstrate a willingness to attend on and off site training for plant and systems as they are installed. This may require nights away from home.
- Reliable and conscientious
- Individuals who can demonstrate commitment and technical competence; but do not meet all the requirements may be considered subject to client approval.
The above is a guideline to the role and is not intended to be fully inclusive or exclusive of the duties required.
NB: It is the responsibility for Engineers to ensure holiday and sickness is covered by engineering colleagues, following approval by the Contract Supervisor or Manager
- customer service