- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Please apply for this vacancy online at our careers site (www.jobs.airbus.com) with your CV attached.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for an Electrical Engineering Manager has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Farnborough.
The successful applicant will join Zephyr Engineering Manager (TUMZE).
Due to Engineering Organisation restructuring, a vacancy is open for the position of Zephyr Electrical Engineering Manager.
The Electrical Engineering Team provides engineering designs for the Zephyr solar-powered stratospheric unmanned aerial vehicle.
The Electrical Engineering expertise within the team includes (but is not limited to):
- Power Generation and Storage (Solar Arrays and Batteries)
- Air and Ground Software
- Ground Stations
The Electrical Engineering Team is a critical pillar within the Zephyr Engineering Organisation, alongside Systems Engineering, Safety Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
The Zephyr Engineering Organisation provides complete aircraft and ground station designs:
improvements and industrialisation of the proven current Zephyr-S product; the next-generation Zephyr-T product; and future products.
The environment is fast-paced, hands-on, and requires a proactive and open-minded approach.
The Electrical Engineering team consists of around 25 engineers at varied stages of their careers.
The Electrical Engineering Manager will be responsible for line management of the engineers (pastoral care, career development, support and coaching) and resource management (assigning engineers to work, capability and capacity planning).
The Electrical Engineering Manager will need to utilise the Technical Specialists and Subject Matter Experts within the team, to provide technical mentoring and ensure that the project work is progressing as required.
The Electrical Engineering Manager is expected to have capacity (approx. 25%) to do an amount of technical project work themselves too.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Tasks & accountabilities
- Provide pastoral care to the Engineers within the Electrical Engineering Team (around 25)
- Hold regular 1-2-1 meetings to provide support, coaching, guidance to each of the engineers and maintain their wellbeing
- Provide career development leadership to the engineers as part of a performance management culture including annual appraisals and quarterly reviews (including objective setting and establishing training needs)
- Facilitate and chair regular (biweekly) team meetings to flow-down information and proactively encourage knowledge sharing opportunities
- Creating a highly cohesive team, despite the distribution of the resources across different projects
- Assigning Engineers to projects (aligned to project governance)
- Capability and capacity planning for the Electrical Engineering Team to ensure the right headcount and mix of skills
- Recruiting new talent where necessary
- Develop strategies to address single-point failures
- Working with the Project Managers and other Engineering Managers to resolve priority calls by providing options and escalating when necessary
Team Performance Leadership
- Establishing and reporting team key performance indicators
- Helping Work Package Leads within the team to establish and maintain their plan through proactive review and support to ensure project work delivery
- Anticipating future challenges and providing ideas and solutions
- Establishing necessary guidelines/processes within the team, including supporting the definition and continuous improvement of tools and methods used
- Utilising and working closely with the Technical Specialists within the team, to provide cohesive technical leadership and support to the
- Ensuring that Technical Specialists have technol