- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
We're looking for an Engineering Manager within Airbus Defence and Space in Portsmouth. You will join our Payload Engineering group and report to the Head of Payload System Engineering.
The Telecom Payload System Engineering team provides engineering support to telecom payload projects; to payload R&D activities and to the development of advanced payload products. The Payload Engineering Manager acts as the main technical interface to the customer throughout the payload project life-cycle. As such, you will lead all engineering work packages on a given project, including the following domains: RF performance; Mechanical and Thermal; Electrical Systems; EMC; Payload Validation and Payload AIT (Assembly, Integration and Test).
Each skillset is represented in the project team by one or more engineers. The engineering manager leads this team for all day-to-day work, without being their functional manager.
You will be a part of the project first line management team (PMO) as the main technical authority for the entire Payload scope. You are supported by the Payload Project Manager (for customer relationship management; schedule and budget) and the Product Assurance Manager (for all quality aspects).
During the initial phase of the project (from contract signature to Preliminary Design Review); you will collaborate with the Customisation Manager to monitor the design implementation and design trade-offs
You will oversee the technical aspects of the Communication Module production phase, following PDR / Custom Close-Out review. You will be the process owner for ‘Justify Design and Build’ and for ‘Payload Validation’
Post delivery, retain ownership of the payload performances, remain the customer focal point for payload issues and provide support to payload related spacecraft activities up to and including in orbit testing.
You will be subject to UK Security Clearance to undertake related work.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Lead the System Engineering Team assigned to a telecom payload project; for RF Systems; Mechanical and Thermal; Electrical Systems and EMC – also including Payload Validation and AIT.
- Understand and interpret customer requirements, lead investigation of technical issues
- When needed, contribute to the design processes for a telecom payload, supporting payload equipment specification and equipment procurement. Lead the presentation and management of the customer and compile written reports or analysis documentation
- Lead the preparation of customer gate reviews; monitoring the payload performance analyses, validation plan and AIT phase
- Provide support to other groups such as the Mechanical Design Office, procurement and equipment suppliers and support the AIT phases.
- Lead the presentation of the payload results to the customer. Support In-Orbit Test and customer training on customer site if needed.
- Additional activities could include Support to proposals; Contributing to creative R&D programmes; Support / lead bid activities
You will spend periods of time, working at the Toulouse Airbus Defence and Space site and possibly on suppliers’ and customers’ sites around the world.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
- System Engineering: from design to manufacturing and test
- RF communication engineering, including RF Instruments; Test Equipment and Test technique
- Knowledge of Mechanical and Thermal systems
- Experienced working within an environment controlled strictly through an established Quality system
Skills and Attributes:
- Comfortable leading a team within a complex multiple stakeholders’ environment
- Comfortable presenting and representing the team to the customer
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share; an ever growing list of company benefits and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work fl