- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
RESPONSIBLE TO: Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR No staffing responsibilities
JOB PURPOSE: To undertake caretaking and handyman duties.
Appointment is subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
Subject to satisfactory references.
- MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
- Report to the Manager all major and minor defects and safety issues inside and outside the Home.
- Carry out minor repairs and improvements to the site and equipment e.g. replacement of locks, putting up shelving, decorating.
- In liaison with the Manager to order and supervise day to day repairs by approved contractors ensuring they are carried out to the correct standard.
- Operating and checking boiler and ventilation systems and ensuring that they are maintained to the correct standard including checking automated systems, time clocks etc.
- Check fire appliances at regular intervals and ensure that they are serviced by the approved contractor.
- In liaison with the Manager maintain stock records as required.
- In liaison with the Manager, take steps to ensure that the premises are free from hazards and safe, warm and secure for the residents, staff and visitors. Carry out safety checks on outside equipment.
- Implement risk management policies as directed by the Manager.
- Take steps to ensure that the premises are kept free from infestation from pests and vermin.
- Move furniture and stores as required.
- Organise and keep clean and tidy the outside storage and bin store areas.
- Clean the external windows and paintwork as necessary.
The above is intended to provide a description of the KEY TASKS and ACTIVITIES of the job. Duties and responsibilities attached to jobs may change from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed.
- The ability to liaise and work positively with all members of staff and residents and become an active team member.
- The ability to keep the premises safe and secure.
- The ability to independently carry out minor repairs to a high standard and to be cost effective.
- The ability to work on own initiative and respond to emergency situations in absence of line manager.
- A willingness to extend their own knowledge and skills.
- A willingness to support the ethos of the Home and to take pride in a positive physical image for the Home.
- A willingness to assist the Manager in whatever duties may be required for the efficient running of the Home.
- To participate in the annual Appraisal Process.
- To attend training workshops and courses identified as appropriate.
- To work within the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and to the Anchorstone Nursing Home Health and Safety Policy. The postholder has a legal duty to take reasonable care for all health and safety both for themselves and others who may be affected by their actions.
- To attend and participate in meetings as required.
- Assisting in the maintenance of the Inventory Management System.
- To undertake other duties not specifically stated above, which from time to time are necessary for the effective performance of the group without altering the nature or level of responsibility involved.
- To attend further training relevant to the post.
Basic numeracy and literacy skills and the ability to work unsupervised are essential
Decorating/ wood working skills/ basic plumbing skills/ gardening skillsPrevious industrial/commercial/ care home caretaking duties
Knowledge of health and safety requirements.
Experience of working with older people.
Experience of working with residents in a care environment.
Flexible approach to working hours.
Good communication skills.
Ability to work with others.
Approximately 25 hours a week
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: £10.00 /hour
- General Maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)
- Maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)