- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary £11,700.00 gross per year
– Adventure Tourism (Hospitality Services Modern Apprenticeship)
WHO ARE CALLANDER YOUTH PROJECT?
Callander Youth Project (CYP) are a charity who provide a variety of youth services within Callander and the surrounding area. In addition, they run several social enterprises including a hostel and function hire.
Thanks to a partnership with Callander’s Landscape (and funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund), CYP are able to offer a 12-month contract that will combine the completion of a Modern Apprenticeship in Hospitality Services with a range of training and work experience specialising in Outdoor Adventure Tourism. This role contributes to a wider project that aims to ‘leave a legacy that supports the town’s drive to become the outdoor capital of the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park’.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
This job opportunity provides a unique combination, which will allow the successful applicant to gain skills and work experience pertaining to both the hospitality and adventure tourism sectors. Over the course of the 12-month contract, experience working throughout CYP’s hostel and functions will provide the opportunity to complete a Modern Apprenticeship in Hospitality Services. In addition, you will work one day per week at Forest Holidays (Strathyre) as part of their Forest Ranger team. Over the course of your contract you will also have the opportunity to complete several external training courses relating to outdoor pursuits, according to your own areas of interest.
WHAT WILL MY ROLE INVOLVE?
The job will involve three main components:
- Callander Youth Project: Contributing to the successful running of all social enterprises (hostel and functions). This will involve a variety of roles, including: staffing the hostel reception; cleaning rooms and serving on the bar at functions (amongst others). This will be the primary element of the job and will provide sufficient opportunities to achieve your Modern Apprenticeship in Hospitality Services.
- Forest Holidays: You will work alongside the Forest Ranger team based at the Forest Holidays resort in Strathyre. This will be one day per week (8 hours) and can incorporate a wide range of tasks, from wildlife surveys to litter-picking and woodland management.
- Training Courses: You will have the opportunity to attend several courses over the duration of your contract. These will be decided based upon your own areas of interest and future job aspirations, but for previous employees this has included the likes of the Mountain Bike Leader Award, Paddlesports Instructor Award and an Emergency Outdoor First Aid course.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD CANDIDATE?
We are looking for a young person (aged 25 or under) who is passionate about the outdoors; ideally someone looking for a career that will enable them to share this passion with others.
In addition, you will have:
- The ability to work in a fast-paced hospitality environment – interacting with guests, maintaining hygiene standards and helping at functions.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- A willingness to learn.
- A willingness to work in a flexible shift pattern, which will involve both evening and weekend shifts as required by business demands.
- The ability to work to the standards required to successfully complete a Modern Apprenticeship in Hospitality Services.
- The ability to travel (either by driving or by public transport) to both Callander and Forest Holidays (Strathyre).
Although previous experience in a hospitality environment would be advantageous, it is not a requirement of the role. We would be happy to hire someone who can evidence that they meet the above criteria through other non-work related experience.
WHAT WILL I BE PAID?
You will work a minimum of a 25-hour week (this may increase due to hours required for certain training courses or functions) and be paid at the National Living Wage, which is currently £9 per hour. As such you will receive a monthly salary of £975 (plus any overtime).
HOW DO I APPLY?
Please submit a copy of your CV and a covering letter.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Deadline for applications: Monday 22nd July at 12:00.
Interviews: Held on Wednesday 31st July at Callander Hostel (applicants who are being invited to interview will be informed on or before Wednesday 24th July).
- ms project