- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
What on Earth Publishing is a dynamic young publishing house based in London, Kent, and Washington, D.C.
We publish beautiful, award-winning nonfiction books that engage children's natural curiosity and passion for learning. We offer our readers diverse perspectives on the world and help them connect the dots to build a lifetime of general knowledge.
- We are looking for an articulate, hardworking junior book designer who has fastidious attention to detail, a wonderfully creative mind, great typographic skills, a love of learning, and a determination to produce beautiful work that inspires, entertains and informs. We are a small team, so strong communication skills, the willingness to go above and beyond when necessary, and a friendly, open and positive attitude are absolute musts.
The role will be based in a co-working office in London.
Reporting to the Art Director and collaborating closely with editorial and marketing, you will…
- Design 5-10 innovative and market-leading children’s nonfiction books per year;
- be responsible for all marketing design (across print, web, and social media), either executing yourself of overseeing outside marketing designers;
- Track design and illustration schedules and work with managing editorial to keep all projects on schedule;
- Liase with illustrators and outside designers on behalf of the Art Director;
- Understand editorial requirements and ensure a detailed brief is taken at the beginning of the design process;
- Attend meetings to discuss feedback, implement changes and feed back to the team and/or freelancers effectively;
- Adhere to brand guidelines;
- Internalise feedback/direction from editorial, marketing, and management, and use it to continually improve your work;
- Assist Art Director as needed;
- Other duties as required,
- Excellent in-depth knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, in particular, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- A Design Degree or equivalent
- 2+ years’ experience in book design, children’s nonfiction a plus
- An excellent eye for typography
- Ability to multitask, manage details, work on own initiative, and work to deadlines.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience managing freelancers desirable
- Knowledge of the print production process preferred
Please send CV, cover letter, and portfolio.
Thank you and good luck!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £20,000.00 to £25,000.00 /year
- design: 2 years (Required)
Flexible Working Options Available:
- Staggered hours