- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Legal Counsel - 90223955
Posting Range:22 Feb 2019 - Ongoing
Job Title: Legal Counsel (BUK)
The purpose of the role is to work with existing members of the BUK Legal team to provide support and expert legal advice on all aspects of Barclay’s current and proposed product offerings across Business Banking. The successful candidate will need the ability to work independently and flexibly, across a range of products and services offered by the relevant business, in order to identify risk and to plan for change wrought by developing regulation, structural reform and Brexit.
What will you be doing?
• Act as a trusted advisor and deliver expert legal advice in relation to the laws and regulations governing financial services products, notably those applicable to the UK SME market.
• To partner with the Business Banking business, delivering a best in class legal service that enables the business to deliver on their objectives, whilst effectively managing legal risk and ensuring good outcomes for Barclays’ customers.
• To provide input to the strategy and delivery of initiatives both within the business and the Legal function.
• Proactively identifying and advising on legal and regulatory risks, escalating these as necessary to stakeholders, and assisting with recommending and implementing solutions, including in relation to the implementation of new legislation and regulatory requirements; and
• Working collaboratively with members of the BUK Legal team, the wider Legal function, the business and other infrastructure functions to:assist with the development of new products; and provide input to new and existing policies and procedures to ensure that any changes to processes are within the permitted legal and regulatory framework;
• Providing support, as required, in relation to other matters being worked on by the BUK Legal team, including regulatory change impacting BUK businesses, structural reform and the implications of Brexit.
What we’re looking for:
• Solicitor or barrister qualified in the UK or equivalent commonwealth jurisdiction
• Experience of working in a top law firm and/or in-house with a top financial services organisation
• Displays strong communication, influencing and negotiation skills
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Regulatory technical expertise in financial services including experience of advising on EU regulation (for example, Payment Services Regulation, Consumer Credit, Data Protection).
• Project management – including advising and leading on implementation of new regulation
Where will you be working?
The role is based from One Churchill Place, the Global Headquarters of Barclays. The offices are based in the centre of Canary Wharf with excellent transport links and a range of amenities close by.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with us.
About the company
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for 48 million customers and clients worldwide.
We have over 325 years of history and expertise in banking. From our beginnings in Lombard Street, London through to the launch of the world’s first ATM and innovative mobile phone payments services, find out more about our achievements to date.
Barclays is a trading name of Barclays Bank PLC and its subsidiaries. Barclays Bank PLC is registered in England and is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Registered in England. Registered No. 1026167. Registered office: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.