- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- SOUTH EAST, GB
L&Q is a regulated charitable housing association and one of the UK's most successful independent social businesses. The L&Q Group houses around 250,000 people in more than 97,000 homes, primarily across London and the South East.
As a charitable organisation, our role goes beyond providing homes and housing services. We are a long-term partner in the neighbourhoods where we work. We hope to build aspiration, opportunity and confidence in our communities through our GBP 250 million L&Q Foundation and our skills academy.
In response to the housing and affordability crisis, we will build 100,000 new homes over ten years. Of these, 60,000 homes will be built or funded by L&Q, whilst a further 40,000 will come through partnerships. Crucially, at least 50% of these new homes will be genuinely affordable, with a target of 60% in London.
Our vision is that everyone has a quality home they can afford, and we combine our social purpose with commercial drive to create homes and neighbourhoods everyone can be proud of.
The Role: Multi skilled Maintenance Technician Voids or Reactive
Contract type: Permanent
Location: North Neighbourhoods
Salary: GBP 32,357 pa rising to GBP 33,327pa following successful completion of 6 months' probation plus benefits
We are looking for a multi skilled all trades to work as a Maintenance Technician in our property maintenance teams covering our North region. Camden Town, Enfield, Harrogate, Barnet and surrounding areas.
The role will be dealing with all aspects of internal/external repairs including kitchen re-fits and repairing UPVC doors and windows. In addition to carpentry you will have skills and experience in plumbing, painting/decorating and groundworks.
Our Operatives are supplied with an L&Q van (business use only), uniform and PPE equipment. You will begin the day from your home address where you will travel to jobs which are distributed to your PDA (hand-held device).
Working knowledge of a building and/or housing environment
Able to deliver excellent customer service (essential)
Relevant City and Guilds/NVQ qualifications (or qualified by experience)
Able to use a PDA (hand-held device) and on occasion a computer
Full clean UK driving licence (essential)
Must have own hand tools (larger tools and specialist equipment will be arranged if needed)
If you believe you have the qualities we are after and are interested in working for an organisation that can really make a difference to people's lives, then please apply without delay.
Closing date for completed applications: 19th April 2019
Interviews Process Assessment Centres will be run throughout April and May. Candidates will be asked to complete a practical assessment.
At L&Q, people are at the heart of our business and our success depends on employing the best people and getting the best from them. This is why we are committed to developing our people. It's only by investing in a well-trained and motivated workforce that we can continue to prosper and sustain business success.
In addition to our support and training, the successful candidate will have access to our full suite of benefits including 26 days holiday rising to 31 days with length of service, annual bonus subject to group performance, excellent Pension scheme, Benenden Healthcare, an employee assistance programme and non-contributory life assurance.
We are committed to supporting your work-life balance and recognise the changing demands and circumstances in life. Please let us know during the recruitment process if you're interested in part time working or job sharing. In addition, should your circumstances change once you have joined L&Q, you can also request flexible working arrangements, e.g. a change to working hours - if it's feasible then we'll make it happen.
We are recognised externally for our commitment to inclusion. We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident (Committed) employer and have signed the Time to Change Employer Pledge to demonstrate our commitment to end mental health discrimination in the workplace.
We expect all of our employees to support our environmental policy and social responsibility work. We are an employer committed to environmental and social responsibility
Maintenance Technician (Generic)
Reports to Title
Reactive/Voids Maintenance Supervisor
Responsibility for End Results
Purpose: To provide a customer focused repairs and maintenance service across L&Q's properties and its residents, and to carry out such works as instructed, whilst meeting L&Q's corporate targets of financial strength and resident satisfaction
Key Responsibilities / Deliverables:
Main Accountabilities: List in order of priority, the major activities or functions necessary to achieve the job's end results. The percentage of time spent on each of these should add up to 100%.
1.Contribute to the direct maintenance team's objectives, targets and achievements, whilst operating in line with L&Q values and delivering the highest level of quality and customer service to residents
2. To carry out works to a high standard as detailed by work orders or instructed by the supervisor/line manager
3. To work collaboratively within the direct maintenance team to meet and deliver the Trust's objectives
4. To be the 'face and voice' of the Trust with residents and ensuring that repairs and maintenance are carried 'out right first time' and in accordance with L&Q standards, having regard for resident satisfaction at all times.
5. Ensure works are carried out in accordance with L&Qs policies, KPI requirements and schedule of rates to ensure value for money and to keep material usage to a minimum consistent with the required quality of work
6. Ensure compliance in respect of the relevant areas of governance and adherence to the required statutory and regulatory provisions. This includes financial probity, identifying fraud and health & safety
7. Completion of time recording, appraisal paperwork and any monitoring documentation or equipment as requested (e.g. PDA)
8. To adhere to all the relevant Health and Safety policy and risk assessment requirements that relate to the role.
Financial Responsibility: Enter below any revenue, operating or capital budgets for which the role is accountable. None
(Indicate below the number of employees for which the role has supervisory / management responsibility. If the number varies, indicate an average or a range).
Please list below any outsourced service providers that are managed by the role (e.g. payroll), or any functional / project management responsibilities:
As and when required to participate in the training of apprentices, trainee's etc
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Describe the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job. Include the need for any academic, vocational or professional qualifications
1. Knowledge & Experience:
Specialist Knowledge and experience of at least one specialist trade i.e. carpentry, plumbing, electrical, plastering painting & decorating - Essential
- A working knowledge and understanding of the building/maintenance trades environment - Essential
- Knowledge of building & construction or housing repairs & maintenance - Essential.
- Job related Health & Safety - Essential
2. Communication & influencing skills:
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (written & verbal) - Essential
- Ability to assess customer needs and to meet quality standards for service with a focus on delivering -high standards of customer/resident satisfaction - Essential
- Able to work on their own and/or within a team - Essential
3. Organisation & planning skills
- Able to plan and manage time effectively & ensure the delivery of work within specified timescales - Essential
4. Academic & professional qualifications relevant qualifications and or experience within role applied for.
- Electrician - Electrical apprenticeship to level of City and Guilds Electrical qualification. 17th Edition approved and 2391 testing and inspection
- Carpenter - NVQ Level 2 or formal apprenticeship or equivalent experience and experience working as a carpenter
- Plumber - City & Guilds Level 2 or NVQ Level 2 or formal apprenticeship or equivalent experience and experience working as a plumber
- Tiler/Plasterer/Multi trade - City & Guilds Level 2 or NVQ Level 2 or formal apprenticeship or equivalent experience and experience working as a Tiler/Plasterer/Multi trader
- Roofer - City & Guilds Level 2 or NVQ Level 2 or formal apprenticeship or equivalent experience and experience working as a Roofer
- Fencing/Ground works - Relevant general building maintenance qualification or formal apprenticeship or equivalent experience and experience carrying out fencing and ground works
5. Other Skills
- Basic IS skills/knowledge and effective use of technology required - Essential
- Problem solving skills - Essential
- Self motivated - Essential
- Ability to Drive (full driving license) - Essential
These are our guiding principles. They describe how we deliver our mission and vision through our behaviors and actions.
? We care about the happiness and wellbeing of our customers and employees
? We approach everything with energy, drive, determination and enthusiasm
? We draw strength from our differences and work collaboratively
? We own problems and deliver effective, lasting solutions
? We measure what we do by the difference we make
? Commit to supporting L&Q's environmental policy and social mission
? I will comply with all L&Q Health and Safety policies and procedures and commit to working towards best practice in the control of health and safet