- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary £27,000.00 - £28,000.00 gross per year
Manager - Volunteer Communities
Circa £27,000 to £28,0000
Fixed Term until May 2020
We are looking for a Manager for our Volunteer Communities to join the IET family!
We are the IET and we inspire, inform and influence the global engineering community to engineer a better world. As a diverse home across engineering and technology, we share knowledge that helps make better sense of the world in order to solve the challenges that matter. It's why we are uniquely placed to champion engineering.
Local Networks are groups of IET members that come together to deliver a series of activities designed to promote the importance of science, engineering and technology to the general public, encourage young people to enter the profession and provide opportunities for engineers to share and develop knowledge and network with each other. This role will be known internally as a 'Local Network Manager'.
As a Local Network Manager will provide administrative support to IET local networks of volunteers both online and with physical activities. You will empower volunteers to develop, lead and promote thriving communities.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to influence, persuade and motivate stakeholders at all levels. You will be able to manage a variable workload therefore sound organisation skills are key! Full training on our internal processes and services will be provided.
Take a look at the day to day responsibilities and key skills below. If you feel you have experience in a number of these areas (even if it's not quite all of them) please send us your CV for consideration.
If you are keen to join the IET Family, we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Day to Day Responsibilities (summary)
- Establish a friendly and professional working relationship with volunteers, providing administrative support and empowering them to lead their communities
- Provide operational guidance and strategic support in order to enable the communities to fulfil their potential as outward facing arms of the IET and help them play their part in delivering the IET strategy
- Ensure volunteers have access to tools and resources, and to provide training where appropriate
- Ensure volunteers have access to important information and documentation and understand their role and responsibilities
- Act as the primary source of information to relevant Communities Committees about activities, and to flag any issues arising among the portfolio to the relevant Senior Staff Member
- Work in partnership with other teams at a cross-departmental level
- Encourage volunteers to be proactive members of their online community
- Ensure the Communities' metrics are collated and to work proactively with colleagues in Communications and Marketing to increase the profile of community contributors
- Plan, schedule, create and launch Local Network emails and ensure promotional material is on IET brand
- Provide guidance and advice to volunteers with marketing activities.
- Provide advice on venue logistics, including room set up, AV and catering requirements
- Provide light touch support to Community Development Team in delivering marketing activities for Local Networks
- To ensure that the community information is up to date and available on central IET systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sound organisational and planning skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Ability to assimilate complex information quickly
- Ability to act on own initiative and problem solve as well as work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to influence, persuade and motivate at all levels
- Experience of participating in online communities (even in a personal capacity)
- Experience of working with volunteers in a membership-based organisation
- Good IT skills in Microsoft Office software, email, web and database operation
- Willingness to travel and attend evening meetings / events and work occasional weekends where appropriate
- Experience of working with Local Network volunteers
- Knowledge of event management and marketing tools for volunteers
The IET is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.