- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
12 Months fixed term contract
Illumina is a leading developer, manufacturer, and marketer of next generation life science tools and integrated systems for large-scale analysis of genetic variation and biological function. These systems are enabling studies that were not even imaginable just a few years ago, and moving us closer to the realization of personalized medicine. With the innovative advances in our sequencing technologies, we are rapidly impacting the clinical market in areas such as reproductive health and oncology. The expanding Illumina oncology portfolio of next-generation sequencing NGS and microarray technologies is revolutionizing cancer genomics research. Our customers include a broad range of academic, government, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other leading institutions around the globe.
Based in our brand-new European Headquarters just south of Cambridge we require a Chemist to join our Technology Development department as a parental leave cover Material / Polymer Chemistry.
As part of the Materials and Applied Surface Science group, you will play an integral role in developing new sequencing and array technologies and related applications. As the company moves fast so does the technology we use, the candidate will have to be adaptable to a wide range of techniques and methods used in life-sciences.
Please note that this role would not suit someone with a PhD, if you do have a PhD please apply job 18971-JOB link below:
- Ability to work on novel materials design, supramolecular/polymer chemistry and bio-conjugation
- Understanding of nanofabrication technologies, surface properties, and materials chemistry
- Modification of glass/ metal/ polymer surfaces for post functionalization
- Experience with a wide range standard analytical technique
- Understanding of microfluidics, fluorescence-based assays, and fundamentals of DNA (bio)chemistry
- Experience designing and planning his/her own experiments
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Be comfortable working in a collaborative team
- Available to travel to the US up to 1 month per year if needed
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Chemistry or Materials Science.
- Experience with glass chemistry/ polymer glass interface chemistry as applied to biological assays or molecular sensing.
- Experience in the field of surface characterization would be a plus
This opportunity would suit a materials or polymer chemist that is looking for a chance to join an organisation that is on the cutting edge of biological assay surface chemistry. The post holder can expect a highly innovative environment with global collaboration and top of the range tools and hardware.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.