- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
The Mechatronics Engineer will join my client in the instrumentation department, interfacing with a rapidly growing team that combines experts in chemistry, biochemistry, surface science and engineering to develop a new device to revolutionise and democratise the field of DNA synthesis.
The role represents a great opportunity to help shape this emerging R+D team and to be involved in the exciting field of biotechnology research.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- providing robust and novel fluidic and mechanical engineering designs to address the issues facing the design team.
- fabricating, iterating and implementing those designs by embracing sound experimental-science methods hands-on in the laboratory.
- sourcing COTS parts wherever necessary to streamline the design process.
- managing the automation and interfacing of sub-components and whole instruments created both in-house and with partners.
- interacting effectively with other team members to understand and solve the biological problems that arise.
- Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent
- A minimum of 2 years' design experience with demonstrable results
- First-hand knowledge of automation and control systems
- Familiarity with liquid-handling including fluid mechanics and/or microfluidics theory and practice
- Demonstrated ability to perform experiments and produce practical results in a laboratory or workshop environment
Desirable qualifications and skills
- A PhD in a biotechnology-relevant engineering field
- Programming background, e.g., in C/C++, MATLAB, LabVIEW, especially on microcontrollers, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.
- COMSOL or other finite-element based modelling / simulation experience
- Some practical knowledge of biology (understanding DNA, RNA, e.g.) with the ability and desire to work alongside life scientists
- Fabrication skills eg.
3D printing, CNC milling, laser milling
- Microfabrication experience a plus
- Ability to work unsupervised and with a minimal level of engineering infrastructure
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative mentality
- Good level of manual dexterity