- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Job Title: Packaging Technologist
Department/Group: Product and Quality
Line Manager: Head of Quality
Location: London (Old Street)
Contract Type: Permanent
Travel Required: Yes
Who we are
At MADE.COM we believe that everyone should have access to great design. So, we’ve taken a unique approach to making and selling furniture - no middlemen, no agents or importers and no high street stores. Instead we work directly with designers and manufacturers so we can offer high-end furniture at attractive prices.
It’s not an easy task – it takes a creative and dedicated team to make it happen where everyone has an important part to play. We combine our individual passions and skills to create innovative work that’s as exciting and unconventional as the business itself. It’s a place where all ideas are listened to, where brainstorming means job titles get left at the door and where a self-starter can really make their mark.
This is your day
As Packaging Technologist, you will be working within the product quality team based in London and will have direct involvement with the development of packaging across a broad and varied assortment of product categories, from photo frames to furniture. You will bring experience and knowledge of packaging techniques and third-party product handling processes into your daily work and use your experience when assisting the quality, buying, design, customer service and supply chain teams based in the UK, Europe and Far East.
- You’ll be involved, from the outset, with the development of suitable product packaging, influencing or writing individual briefs to ensure product launches are achieved within agreed timeframes.
- Assist in compiling supporting information to underpin seamless engagement and the clear understanding of requirements with our suppliers and third parties, along with re-evaluating and potentially improving the packaging specifications currently in use. It is essential to evaluate and communicate concerns and recommendations about our packaging and handling standards during the entire product lifecycle, from drawing and sampling through factory production, launch and eventual discontinuation.
- You will assist the Head of Quality and Product Technologists in ensuring the packaging specifications for all products are the best they can be, supporting as required in all areas from material quality to internal methods for protecting goods against damage during the drop test process.
- Support the production of MADE.COM documents and standards, and assist in the distribution of these documents to the MADE.COM supply base. Awareness of industry regulations, tests and general standards concerning component fitness-for-purpose will be beneficial when ensuring products are successfully launched and compliant.
- Knowledge of industry best practices, such as transit solutions and packaging innovation, will prove useful when researching alternatives and on discussing our requirements with suppliers. The role involves maintaining labelling standards and warnings in line with sales territory-based regulations.
- Environmental impact is essential to consider in all product-based assessments and supplier facing discussions. Working closely with Valpak, our appointed environmental consultant, you will use data they have compiled to influence your decisions and future actions. Additionally, you will draw upon your experience along with outputs from customer service databases and third party service providers to make effective improvements to packaging specifications. These could be in direct response to recycling non-compliances, customer claims regarding goods damaged on delivery, or suggestions from logistical partners.
- You will support and assist the various teams in ensuring MADE.COM products are handled and treated in accordance with the business expectations, and in a way appropriate to tasks being carried out
What you’ll need
- A good problem-solving mind set, solutions driven and the ability to investigate problems, obtained from having held a similar role in another e-retail organization, service provider, or other appropriate business sector
- A good understanding, both internally and externally, of end consumer expectations.
- Firsthand experience of Logistics and distribution processes and the way they influence packaging functionality and design
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to make confident decisions based upon the information and data being presented
- Excellent attention to detail
- An understanding of industry standards and regulations, such as those influencing environmental impact, recycling obligations, and packaging fitness-for-purpose
- A good understanding of test standards and testing methods applicable to the area of responsibility
- Good influencing and presentation skills
- Good numeracy and IT skills
- A good understanding of the mail order and/or dedicated on-line retail industry
- An enthusiastic attitude and experience of working supportively across multiple business functions
What we offer
- A fast-paced, creative and fun office environment
- Great opportunities to make the role your own and get involved with exciting projects
- A supportive, diverse company with a brilliant culture
- Hot and cold drinks and free breakfast provided in the office – (including fruit for the healthy people)
- Regular work drinks along with many social and company events
- Excellent employee benefits Including private healthcare (with discounted gym membership), pension, life insurance, 25 days holiday a year (with an extra day every year served up to a cap of 30 days) and season ticket loan
- Temptingly good employee discounts on MADE.com and regular staff sample sales
Up your street? Apply for the opportunity to join our growing team in the heart of London
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Packaging Technologist: 3 years (Preferred)
Flexible Working Options Available:
- Annualised hours
- Compressed hours