- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Founded by Victor Mishcon in a one-room office in Brixton in 1937 we now have offices in London and New York, employ more than 800 people, with over 500 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals. In every area of the law that we operate, Mishcon de Reya prides itself in providing a best in class service to its clients. Specifically we offer the following legal services: corporate; dispute resolution; employment; family; private client; and real estate. An entrepreneurial spirit - where candour and involvement are key - characterises our ability to develop and execute the strategies required to achieve our clients’ goals in all these areas. We are an independent firm with an international footprint that extends far beyond our offices in London and New York.
At Mishcon de Reya LLP our Corporate department acts for businesses, wealth owners and dealmakers to help them make the right choices for their private capital and ventures and then offer the practical support to populate, grow and protect their assets. Our lawyers are personally invested in our clients' successes. We know that our clients want to solve problems and capitalise on opportunities quickly. So do we. We challenge conventional ways of working and we know that solving the complex problems faced by businesses requires intelligent and often inventive strategies.
Our dedicated Betting & Gaming lawyers are recognised experts within the gambling sector. We have significant experience advising operators on licence applications, regulatory compliance, investigations and enforcement, tax structuring and corporate and commercial work of all descriptions (in particular M&A), with the benefit of a deep understanding of gambling regulation and how businesses in the gambling sector operate. This regulatory expertise allows us to provide our clients with an unparalleled perspective and deliver advice that is tailored to their gambling businesses.
To provide a high quality paralegal service to fee-earners in the Corporate Department's Betting & Gaming team. The main focus will be on assisting on the Team's transactions, including particularly private company Mergers and Acquisitions. However, whilst this is a core activity of the team, due to its sector focus, its work is very varied and you may be required to assist in a variety of matters, including those of a contentious nature. This role will assist with the Department's drive to work more efficiently and will involve using junior resources to co-ordinate information and documents on its matters, as well as leveraging new technology.
The main duties include, but are not limited to:
- Undertaking searches at the beginning of a matter and entering the transaction parties and target company information into our automated precedent suites;
- Setting up, uploading documents onto and managing virtual data sites provided by us when we act for a seller of a business;
- Helping co-ordinate bundles of disclosure documents forming part of the disclosures made against warranties given by a seller of a business;
- Coordinating replies to due diligence questionnaires;
- Forming companies and making filings at Companies House;
- Helping the deal team acting for a buyer of a business with reviewing contracts and other documents as part of the due diligence;
- Conducting searches of public registries, such as Companies House and Court/winding up;
- Drafting board minutes, co-ordinating completion documents and preparing transaction bibles;
- Attending training on the above together with trainees and other paralegals;
- Working with fee-earner to encourage up-take of new ways of working;
- Trialling new technology to support the above;
- Working under pressure to meet deadlines with a flexible attitude to working overtime on the occasions when an urgent transaction may require it; and
- Providing support as required by the fee-earners across the group and working with other secretaries/paralegals in the Department.
Given the varied nature of the Team's other work (beyond M&A), your responsibilities are likely also to include:
- Assisting with the management and coordination of documentation for clients facing regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings;
- The preparation of bundles for counsel, clients and hearings;
- The preparation of applications for gambling operating licences (with suitable oversight from qualified members of the team);
- Assisting Team members with the coordination of regulatory advice from overseas counsel in various jurisdictions as part of regulatory reviews for clients;
- Assisting Team members in the provision of various forms of commercial advice to the sector.
- Bright, intelligent individual with strong academics.
- Dynamic and driven with an ability to work independently with initiative, discretion and confidentiality.
- Must have strong organisational skills with a flexible approach and a ‘can-do’, willing attitude.
- Should be responsive to the changing needs and priorities of the Department.
- Must demonstrate an ability to establish priorities and react quickly and professionally.
- Proficiency in MS Packages including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet Explorer. Experience with Document Management Systems is an advantage.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Good team-working and problem solving skills.
- Previous relevant experience or a genuine interest in this area of law is desirable.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage own workload
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Personable and confident, able to build relationships with partners/ key stakeholders
- Resilient and calm under pressure
- Adaptable and flexible approach
- Pro-active and takes initiative
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business.