- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Placement Officer - Childreen and Families Social Care
In ECC we are "Serious about Social Work". Having recently won the Best Social Work Employer of the Year Award 2018 and been awarded 'Outstanding' by Ofsted this is an exciting time to join us. As if that wasn't enough, Essex has also been announced as a Partner in Practice by the Department of Education, and the Essex Social Care Academy (ESCA) is the only Local Authority team in the country to be accredited by BASW as a CPD provider. We have invested in our workforce and created a positive environment for our social workers to make a difference and achieve change for our most vulnerable children and families through direct relationship-based social work practice. We have supported our staff to have an understanding of systemic theoretical framework and models underpinning our interventions; to have access to the right tools, equipment and resources; and also the right supervision, training and learning opportunities they need to be strong practitioners.
The Placement Officer is part of a team working to identify, source and commission suitable in house or external accommodation for any child that is "looked after" and as part of the placement finding process various task/notifications will need to be made.
* Provide carefully matched placements in accordance with the child/young person's plan that considers the child/young person's health, education, cultural, ethnic, religious and therapeutic needs
* Ensure that the placements offers the child/young person care and support in a safe and stable environment that complies with all required regulation i.e. Ofsted
* Ensure that all relevant documentation i.e. risk assessment, care plan is received from the child/young person's allocated social worker and as appropriate this is shared with the provider
* Complete the agreed processes, notifications and recordings on placements being made
* Develop skills and knowledge of all providers and any other relevant information as required through appropriate training as part of the ongoing development plan.
* Build strong working relationships across the Council, providers, members of other statutory and organisations and voluntary agencies.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Skills and knowledge
- NVQ Level 3 or equivalent
- First Aid Certificate
- Sign Language :Makaton or BSL
- English language GCSE equivalent
- Experience of working in a supportive relationship with children, young people and families
- Experience in planning activities and programmes for children, young people and parents
- Previous work experience in either a paid or voluntary capacity working with children, Young people and families
- Experience in collaborating with other professionals and agencies for the benefit of the client
- Experience of group work with young people or adults
- Knowledge of child development
- A commitment to working relationships which support the client's independence
- A commitment to one's own personal and professional development
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends (Very rare)
- Full driving license and the use of a car or access to a driver and vehicle for work purposes
- To be contactable by telephone
- Good physical and emotional health
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on .