- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Political Communications Intern
The Afghanistan & Central Asian Association (ACAA) is a successful frontline Afghan charity set up in 2001 to promote British values and support the integration of disadvantaged and vulnerable refugees, asylum seekers and new arrivals into mainstream British society through the provision of a diverse range of holistic services. Our services include ESOL classes, supplementary school, mentoring, internships and volunteer placements, free legal advice, employment workshops, women's support group, social and cultural events, sports activities and Mental Health support.
Responsibilities and Duties
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who would like to develop their research and communication skills within a political context, improve their knowledge and understanding of the NGO sector and learn more about the significance of grassroots community organisations in shaping policy and supporting the most vulnerable in society.
- Strengthening ties with the Afghan government to enable the ACAA to contribute towards government policy through representing the views and suggestions of the Afghan diaspora.
- Contacting embassies, think tanks and international NGO's to raise awareness of ACAA's work in the UK and in Afghanistan and to establish formal partnerships and undertake joint collaborative work.
- Contacting British politicians and MP's who have an interest in Afghanistan and Central Asia to introduce them to the ACAA and discuss our plans.
- Arranging meetings with local councillors and the authorities in Hounslow to discuss how we can work together and engage them in our community initiatives.
- Helping in organising conferences to highlight the impact of ACAA's work both in the UK and inside Afghanistan.
- Developing ACAA’s media presence in established British news outlets such as the BBC and the Guardian through writing powerful press releases and articles.
- Working on our annual Refugee Week Summer Festival in June
- We are looking for enthusiastic and active volunteers who have:
- Knowledge of UK and Afghan relations
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Interest in the charity sector, refugee issues and current affairs
Please note this position is voluntary and therefore flexible. The position is based in Hounslow, West London.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary, Internship, Contract, Commission, ...