- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary £46,538.00 - £60,225.00 gross per year
Senior CPU Performance Engineer role available in Cambridge
Senior CPU Performance Engineer
Would you like to join the team that defines the micro-architecture of the future client's CPUs, and influence the future by creating products that millions of people will use all over the world? We are looking for engineers willing to accept the challenge of growing our modelling and performance analysis capability and explore ideas that will fuel very successful products, as well as building and supporting initiatives that will improve our methodologies and perform wider and faster explorations of the CPU design space.
The performance modelling team within the CPU group is responsible for early performance exploration and analysis that drive the definition of the next generation the client's CPUs. By joining the team, you will interact closely with the CPU RTL designers to investigate and evaluate new micro-architectural ideas and design trade-offs that will make the micro-architecture for the next products successful for the target sectors. You will evaluate these ideas and analyze CPU performance developing and using C++ based performance models of the micro-architecture. You will also coach and mentor more junior engineers to help them grow and become deep experts on the field.
The key objectives of this role include:
- You will help driving the technical direction of the team, which develops, tests and maintains software models of client's advance CPUs.
- You will engage with hardware design engineers to prune the design space of next generation products, understanding performance opportunities on current processors and investigate potential micro-architectural improvements.
- You will chip in with the development, test and maintainability of the software performance models for client's advanced CPU and system level IPs, making them flexible and robust to enable the effective exploration of future products.
- You will support the mentorship and coaching of other specialists; sharing your technical expertise and experience.
- With your help, we will keep improving the effectiveness of client modelling methodologies.
- We are closely interacting not only with hardware designers but also with other CPU performance modelling teams across the world. You would be involved on the communication and alignment of activities related to integration, methodologies, strategies, etc.
Education & Qualifications
You will have a good university degree, ideally in electronic engineering or computer science, although other graduates would be considered if they have a meaningful experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Good interpersonal skills and capacity to work efficiently with local and remote teams.
- Detailed understanding of CPU micro-architecture.
- Experience of performance modelling.
- Experience of exploring and evaluating ideas and performance related to processor micro-architecture.
- Proven experience in C++.
- Strong software development experience, including design specification, coding, testing, and debugging. Experience with RTL and SystemC simulators
- Familiarity with architectures and instruction sets.
- Knowledge of System Architecture and System Software including OS kernel internals.
- Experience of Unix development environment.
- Team leadership, including planning and managing tasks, as well as delivery to specification and schedule.
Our client's technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.