- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary £65,000.00 - £74,500.00 gross per year
Job reference number105781
Senior Data Engineer
Salary from circa £65,000 to £74,500 (dependent on experience), plus an 18% target dependent bonus, £5,500 car pot (or £5,000 cash equivalent), full family healthcare and 27.5 days annual leave, plus bank holidays.
Royal Mail, 185 Farringdon Road, London, EC1A 1AA
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to play a key role in the end to end delivery of Royal Mail’s data strategy, working along with our Data Analysts, Architects, and Data Science and Visualisation teams, to ensure that engineering practices and product delivery have the best engineering practices and standards.
This is a crucial role for Royal Mail as a tech company; implementing innovative data use cases and putting ourselves technologically ahead of our competitors, so you’ll have high impact and visibility from the business.
About the role
As a Senior Data Engineer in the Group Business Intelligence department, you will be driving a large variety of batch, streaming and machine learning applications, from the design to production in the cloud.
You will join the team at the beginning of a migration from our on-premises data platform to the cloud in the Google Cloud Platform, so will have exposure and contribute to key decisions in the biggest migration to GCP in the UK.
In addition, you’ll have an important role solving problems like routes optimisation, estimation of parcel delivery time windows, and failures prediction in machines and vehicles.
In your daily work, you will have ownership of the following areas:
- Define simple, standardised and innovative ways to ingest, process, store, and analyse various data sources.
- Design, implementation and monitoring of our cloud data platforms.
- Work with the Data Science team to move to a production environment machine learning use cases.
- Drive automation in the continuous integration pipelines, infrastructure management and configuration.
- Provide training and mentorship to Data Engineers.
You will have proven engineering experience with excellent knowledge of the best engineering and data practices in a commercial environment.
You will have strong knowledge in the following areas:
- Key data structures, algorithms, and software design patterns.
- JVM languages (Java and/or Scala).
- Production experience with Big Data technologies (for example Hadoop, Spark, Hive, NiFi and Kafka).
- Experience managing and implementing distributed applications in public cloud environments (Google Cloud Platform experience is preferred).
- Some understanding of prototyping/scripting languages (Python and/or R).
- Automated testing following TDD and BDD testing methodologies.
- Build, automation and continuous integration tools.
- Experience in training and coaching small teams of engineers.
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant subject is essential.
Please note that we are unable to offer VISA sponsorship for this role.
At Royal Mail we connect companies, customers and communities across the country, delivering a ‘one-price-goes-anywhere’, universal postal service to more than 30 million addresses. As one of the UK’s leading companies, we are focused on being recognised as the best delivery company in the UK and across Europe.
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values. We welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all of our job applicants.
Closing Date:Wednesday, 3rd July2019. Please note, this advert may close early if the appropriate number of applications has been reached.
Database, Bank, Banking, Engineer, Developer, Technology, Finance, Engineering