- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary £38,000.00 - £46,000.00 gross per year
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
In ECC we are "Serious about Social Work". Having recently won the Best Social Work Employer of the Year Award 2018 and been awarded 'Outstanding' by Ofsted this is an exciting time to join us. As if that wasn't enough, Essex has also been announced as a Partner in Practice by the Department of Education, and the Essex Social Care Academy (ESCA) is the only Local Authority team in the country to be accredited by BASW as a CPD provider. We have invested in our workforce and created a positive environment for our social workers to make a difference and achieve change for our most vulnerable children and families through direct relationship-based social work practice. We have supported our staff to have an understanding of systemic theoretical framework and models underpinning our interventions; to have access to the right tools, equipment and resources; and also the right supervision, training and learning opportunities they need to be strong practitioners.
Ensure effective clinical supervision reflects best practice and incorporates research/evidence-based approach. Assess the needs and risks for children and identify actions appropriate to meet need and address risk.
To hold and sustain a caseload consisting of the most sensitive, "complex and difficult" cases to which the post holder is able to bring to bear the highest standards of professional ability and a considerable depth of knowledge in relevant legislation in policy and practice methods. To provide a focus of specialist advice and professional consultation for Social Workers and contribute to the development of practice standards within the service.
skills and knowledge
* Diploma in Social Work, CQSW, CSS or equivalent.
* GSCC Registration as a Registered Social Worker.
* Advanced Award in Social Work (AASW).
* IT/Word Processing Skills.
* Evidence of recent practice at a senior practitioner/team manager or equivalent level, supported by comprehensive working knowledge and experience of front line exposure to a wide ranging field of practice in Children Services.
* Substantial, in-depth experience of Child Protection work including section 47 investigations and assessments since the implementation of the Children's Act 1989.Considerable, recent experience of communicating with children of all ages and working in partnership with parents and/or carers.
* Experience in planning activities and programmes for children, young people and parents.
* Experience of Court work in relation to Child Care matters and have an understanding of the legal process.
* Detailed knowledge of current legislation pertinent to Child Protection (e.g. CA1989, CJA1991), Guidance and Regulations.
* Knowledge and understanding of child development, relating theory and practice.
Qualification certificates must be brought to interview.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link:
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on .
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.