- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- SCOTLAND GB
NHS EDUCATION FOR SCOTLAND
SOFTWARE ENGINEER - NDS
Agenda for Change Band 7; £37, 570 to £44, 688 per annum
Full Time, 37.5 hours P/W
Your Software Engineering skills could quickly transform health and social care for millions!
NDS (NES Digital Service) is a fast-growing team focused on improving people's lives by building impactful, social care and health products from the ground up - delivering these across web, mobile and emerging channels. Our team includes a rich mix of talent from technical, medical and other backgrounds
Applying a start-up mindset, we deliver quickly, enabling continual improvement in services available to millions.
We believe embracing diversity is key to building products which meet the needs of Scotland’s citizens.
The opportunities are endless
For starters, we believe it should be easy for you, your family, friends and indeed ever citizen to book appointments, get test results, and renew prescriptions online.
We also believe that those helping you – in a hospital, GP practice, or your home – should have straightforward, appropriate access to the information that lets them do that job.
One of our initial products supports the ReSPECT process providing peace of mind for citizens and developed in partnership with medical professionals.
What we can offer you
A collaborative, open and empowering environment.
Continually learn and grow in impact by working in cross-functional teams combining engineering, product, and design with clinical and care expertise. We talk openly about our work, open source what can be reused, and use open standards. We build things iteratively, learning from our users.
Life-work balance - with opportunities for flexible working and remote working
Modern Tech Stack
Work with a broad range of technologies and development processes to build cloud-hosted products including node.js, React, Postgres, Java, etc
Incremental progression through the salary band, plus annual NHS salary scale review
Generous NHS pension scheme
Annual Leave – 27 Days increasing in line with service plus 8 days public holiday
As a Software Engineer you will play a key role in delivering valuable solutions to complex problems across health and social care.
Your responsibilities will include but are not restricted to
• Ensuring Products and web services they develop meet the team's standards of security, reliability, cost effectiveness and scalability
• Applying an iterative approach to development ensuring continual improvement and learning
• Participating in team planning
What we love to see
• Experience delivering and operating software solutions in a complex environment
• Version control (e.g. git), continuous integration, continuous deployment, unit testing and test-driven development
• Practical and/or theoretical knowledge of using cloud platforms (e.g. Azure, AWS, Google Cloud) and tools like Kubernetes, Docker to design, build and deploy functioning systems in the cloud
• Agile methodologies and continuous improvement of development processes
• Languages – While not essential experience developing with node.js, java, React would be a bonus
Applications must be made on line via our website: http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/recruitment/nes-vacancies.aspx
CVs will not be accepted
Interview Date: TBC
Proud member of the Disability Confident employer scheme
About Disability Confident A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to Disability Confident.