- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- BRISTOL AVON
Overview Title: Surgery Associate
Location: Bristol with regular travel to Cardiff and Exeter
Hours: 40 hours
Salary: £Competitive + bonus
We’ve come a long way since the first Optical Express branch opened in 1991. From just one store, we’ve grown to more almost 130 stores and clinics and have become the UK’s only complete eye care provider. From glasses and contact lenses to laser, lens and cataract surgery, we’re here to make poor vision a thing of the past for our patients.
Over £400 million has been invested in our clinics utilising the most advanced technology, so it’s no wonder that we’re the number one choice for laser eye surgery patients in the UK. Every week, our optometrists and surgeons help to transform the vision of thousands of people across the country.
Optical Express has more 5 star Trust Pilot reviews than all the other laser eye surgery providers in the UK combined. In fact, over 99% of our patients would recommend us.
Due to continued growth, a fantastic opportunity has arisen to join Optical Express as a Surgery Associate based in our Bristol clinic. The role involves travelling to cover other Optical Express surgery clinics.
The Role Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Following appropriate training, supervised practice and competency achievement assessments, you will be able to undertake all designated roles within the surgery team working across two surgical specialities: laser vision correction department (LVC) and ophthalmic (IOL) theatres. You will also be responsible for the following:
- Pre-operative testing; conducting tests prior to examination and treatment and assisting during the consent appointment process, including providing information to patients prior to their IOL or LVC procedure.
- Patient discharging; instructing the patient pre and post procedure on the care of the eyes, updating medical records, making follow up appointments.
- Laser technician; preparation and calibration of the lasers, understanding data, loading and transferring data, safe running of the lasers.
- Co-ordinating: Controlling patient flow on the day of the consent appointment and surgery appointments to ensure minimum waiting times for patients and managing queries.
- Assisting the surgeon during consent appointments and treatments – acting as scrub assistant (LVC only); taking notes for the surgeon; instilling eye drops.
- Undertaking the role of ‘HCA’ (Healthcare Assistant) in IOL theatre to assist the surgical team and patients during surgery and associated tasks such as decontamination of instruments.
- Actively participating in the end of treatment day activities; updating patient files, filing, compiling ‘end of day’ reports for head office, cleaning the department, stock and lens ordering.
- Reporting untoward incidents – taking an active role in patient safety issues and quality and risk management.
- Previous experience within optical or healthcare
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to absorb and convey highly technical information
- Adaptable with a flexible approach to work
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- A confident and professional individual who has fantastic organisational skills
- Excellent telephone manner
- Demonstrate confidentiality, integrity and discretion
Benefits What’s in it for you?
- Free or discounted optical products/procedures
- Competitive/ and industry leading salaries
- Career progression / Defined and unparalleled career path and progression opportunities
- Modern working environment with superb technology support
Please apply now by uploading your CV.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a global organisation where you will have the opportunity to grow and develop within a professional working environment.
Optical Express is an equal opportunities employer