I'm a strategic communications consultant who navigates the fluid intersection of PR, media relations, social media and journalism to excel in the Digital Age with high ROI. I'm also a beBee brand ambassador who is passionate about writing, politics, environment, space, civil rights, new technology.
Strategic Communications Consultant
September 2017 - at Present
I provide tailored communication solutions for high-impact results in today's fluid digital media landscape and 24/7 breaking news cycle. My areas of expertise include: * External and Internal Communications. * Crisis Communications and Rapid Response. * PR Campaigns and Earned Media (national/global). * Corporate Branding and Reputation Management. * Strategic Message Development and Implementation. * Media Relations and Spokesperson (on-the-record). * Speechwriting, Ghostwriting, Op-Eds, Digital Content * Social Media Marketing, Content Marketing, Influencer Marketing. * Executive Media Training (on-camera and off), Social Media Training. * beBee Brand Ambassador and featured blogger. * Advisory Board Member and featured contributor to American Diversity Report. * Featured columnist for BizCatalyst 360 (award-winning online media). * Featured contributor to Thrive Global, PR Daily, Medium, LinkedIn.
Strategic Communications Advisor, Social Media Strategist, Writer/Editor
at U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
January 1995 - August 2017
• Served as media spokesperson on litigation and policy decisions, quoted over 1,000 times. • Managed media strategy for landmark $50 million class action litigation settlement with Morgan Stanley alleging sex bias against female executives on Wall Street. • Supervised crisis communications and rapid response following the destruction of the New York office on 9/11 and the New Orleans office during Hurricane Katrina. • Launched national media campaigns for “Youth at Work” Initiative and “E-Race” Initiative with media coverage by C-Span, The New York Times and other leading news outlets. • Arranged news segment aired on CBS "60 Minutes" by investigative correspondent Mike Wallace spotlighting first-ever lawsuit alleging genetic discrimination in the workplace. • Launched “Freedom to Compete” TV public service announcements (PSA) to millions of viewers during Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. • Supervised staff in writing/editing/issuing 500 annual press releases nationwide.
Press Assistant, White House OMB
at Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
July 1993 - December 1994
• Wrote press releases and talking points for OMB Directors Leon Panetta and Alice Rivlin. • Coordinated dozens of print and broadcast media interviews with leading news outlets. • Conducted rapid response to reporters on President Bill Clinton's legislative priorities, including the Deficit Reduction Act (Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) and the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). • Arranged a series of interviews between OMB Director Panetta and Bob Woodward of The Washington Post for his first book about the Clinton Administration (“The Agenda”). • Coordinated media issuance of President Clinton’s annual Budget of the United States Government. • Liaised with White House Press Office to draft talking points for the live televised daily press briefings. • Fielded calls from reporters and provided statistical information on budget and fiscal issues.
Confidential Assistant, White House OPP
at Office of Presidential Personnel (OPP) and Presidential Transition Office
November 1992 - June 1993
NOTE: This job carried over from the Presidential Transition Office, Department of Personnel, at outset of the Clinton Presidency. * Assisted in selecting political appointees to work in public affairs/communications offices within Cabinet departments and federal agencies government-wide. * Interviewed dozens of job candidates in-person and assessed their qualifications. * Reviewed hundreds of resumes of prospective political appointees. * Wrote personnel staffing reports and maintained electronic data base of applicants.
Research Analyst, Clinton for President Campaign
at Office of Chief Pollster
June 1992 - November 1992
* Assisted chief pollster to presidential candidate Bill Clinton. * Conducted survey research and analyzed polling data. * Coordinated focus groups with likely voters on key issues. * Wrote polling reports and assisted with development of campaign strategy.
Environment Reporter and Copy Editor
at The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (currently Bloomberg BNA)
June 1991 - September 1991
* Beat reporter covering environmental issues related to wetlands, clean air and clean water. * Wrote articles about rules and regulations promulgated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). * Covered the White House Council on Environmental Quality and committee hearings of the U.S. Congress on proposed environmental legislation. * Edited copy and wrote headlines.
Press Assistant, U.S. Congress
at Office of the Majority Leader, House of Representatives
January 1990 - August 1990
* Assisted the Press Secretary, Communications Director and Speechwriter in daily office activities. * Wrote media advisories and "talking points" on legislative issues during the 1990 "Budget Summit" between Congress and the White House. * Fielded media calls and coordinated interviews for Congressman Richard Gephardt of St. Louis, Missouri. * Helped arrange press conferences and news briefings. * Assisted front office staff with administrative activities.
Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree in Journalism (Minor in Political Science)
at University of Maryland
1988 - 1992 (4 years) Maryland
* All external and internal communications, including global media/PR campaigns;
* All types of writing and editing, including ghostwriting, blogging, speechwriting;
* Social media management, marketing and strategy;
* Message development and brand image enhancement;
* Executive media training and organizational press spokesman; and
* U.S. political analyst and commentator (print, digital, broadcast).
NOTE: Winner of distinguished writing award from The Society of Professional Journalists for opinion-editorials (op-eds) on national and international issues.
Knowledge and keywords