I am an experienced Data Science/ A.I. professional with a wealth of capabilities and know-how in information systems, data analysis and A.I., in international roles. When I'm not turning data into insights, I enjoy meeting new people, reading, making educational videos, writing, and travelling.
at Data Science Partnership
June 2017 - at Present
As CTO at Data Science Partnership, I am responsible for managing our client base from a technical perspective. I review our customers AI goals on a deeply technical level and support them with consultancy, research and resource delivery from Data Science Partnerships ‘virtual bench’ of artificial intelligence experts, data scientists, PhD level researchers, and implementation specialists.
Mentor for Data Science
November 2016 - at Present
Guiding data science students throughout their learning process, addressing: * technical queries * career-related questions * data-related matters * concerns they may have about the design and development of their capstone projects
Author / Video Producer / Acquisitions Consultant
at Technics Publications
September 2013 - at Present
* Authored 3 data science related books (www.technicspub.com/analytics), 2 of which are already in print * Creating educational videos on data science and A.I. related topics (www.safaribooksonline.com) * Onboard potential authors / video producers for data science and A.I. related projects
Chief Science Officer
at MAXset LLC
December 2016 - August 2017
* Design and implement NLP-related algorithms * Manage pipeline of data science tasks * Participate in company strategy across all verticals
at Creative Coding for Kids (CC4K)
November 2016 - June 2017
Facilitating the learning process of the new generation of coders, as they take their first step, using the Scratch platform.
at G2 Web Services LLC
November 2015 - February 2016
(3-month contract position) * Performed data engineering and data analysis for Violation and Transaction Laundering detection * Explored various machine learning options for data modeling * Built predictive analytics models using Python and Graphlab Create * Created reports and a demo to share findings with rest of the team and other shareholders of the projects * Developed new techniques for assessing feature value and performance, for heavily unbalanced datasets
at Microsoft Inc.
December 2013 - September 2015
* Managed data-driven projects in the Local team of the Bing search engine * Wrote data analysis scripts using Scope, Python, Julia, C#, and Excel to derive insights on user behavior and business segment structure * Accessed and stored datasets on the Cosmos cloud platform * Presented insights derived from data analytics work to developers and other PMs * Managed a team of in-house analysts for data curation related projects, coordinating with task owners
at Elavon Inc.
January 2013 - December 2013
* Performed data exploration, data discovery, data engineering, and data analysis on transaction data * Built machine learning models using R and Octave (Matlab clone) to predict attrition and transaction issues * Researched and got acquainted with new technologies for Big Data platforms * Evaluated large datasets with data from data warehouses, logs, and other sources * Communicated effectively in a non-technical and business-oriented manner to convey findings and progress
June 2012 - June 2013
* Carried out modeling and analysis of financial data as required for business, via the internet * Created relevant documentation explaining every aspect of the model to a non-technical audience
at IMC Business Global Plc
November 2011 - January 2013
* Analyzed data related to web traffic for 50+ websites and visualizing it in time series plots, generating insights from these plots and communicating them to upper management * Responsible for processing and organizing company data to ensure maximum usability, drafting comprehensive reports to summarize relevant information * Performed other SEO-related tasks, delegating a variety of tasks to a team of three, while also ensuring that they are trained and able to perform these tasks in a timely manner
January 2011 - November 2011
* Self-published three eBooks on the subjects of computer usability, website development, and computer optimization, drafting regular articles on topics including Bright Hub Inc
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
at Georgia Institute of Technology
July 2009 - December 2010
* Lead two research teams using electrical and computing machine learning techniques to investigate safety issues related to helicopters and trucks used by the US military * Used Matlab to develop and utilize an Artificial Intelligence approach to analyze signal and numeric data connected to fault diagnosis and failure prognosis, communicating findings into project reports for managers and sponsors
PhD in Information Systems, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence
at University of London
2005 - 2009 (4 years) London
MSc in Information Systems and Technology
at City University of London
2003 - 2004 (1 year) London
BSc / MSc in Production Engineering and Management (5-year program)
at Technical University of Crete
1996 - 2003 (7 years) Crete
Book / Video Publishing and Acquisitions
Developing technical books and videos, mainly on data science and A.I. related topics. Strong relationship with a US-based publishing house, with distributors around the world. Also, as an acquisitions consultant in that company, I accept proposals for such media, to be made available in the Safari Books Online website. Contact me for more info.
Data Science consultancy
Aid in any part of the data science pipeline. Flexible timetable and competitive rates. Email for more info, with a short description of the data at hand and the questions you are trying to answer.
Teaching programming from absolute beginner level, to working professionals. Specialties include: Julia, Python, and Scratch.
Offering mentoring to data science professionals and scientists in general. Contact me for more information about how I can help you reach the next level in your data science career.
Video production (mainly for educational videos)
Over the past few months I have mastered a professional video editing software and have gained some experience in creating professional videos. Also, I have mastered a video intro/outro software for small clips that can be added to the footage, to make the video look more elegant. Finally, having significant experience as an amateur sound engineer, I can augment any videos I make with appealing soundtracks and/or professionally recorded voice tracks. I may not make everything flashy like some video producers out there, but everything I make is of a high enough standard to be accepted in the Safari Books Online platform (I don't create videos for YouTube, though I do have a promotional video on Vimeo).
Knowledge and keywords
- corel draw
- ms office
- big data
- data analysis
- artificial intelligence
- technical writing
- data analytics
- bash scripting
- machine learning
- data science
- video development
- windows 7/8/10
- opus pro