- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- CALIFORNIA US
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 11/13/2019 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 11/22/2019. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The Linguistics Language Library and Lab is a specialized facility, within the Department of Linguistics, comprising a collection of 8000+ print volumes and a multimedia collection of 400+ titles, together representing more than 200 languages. Seventy workstations provide computers and playback equipment for individual or small group study and testing. The facility is open 40+ hours per week including evenings and weekends during academic sessions. Course information and reserve materials are available for on-premises use to all enrolled linguistics and language students at UCSD and Extension. Faculty, staff, alumni and members of the local community are also welcome as space allows. The Language Library and Lab serves an integral component of the Linguistics Language Program (LLP). The aim of the LLP is effective communication in a second language. The courses offered satisfy general education requirements of the various colleges, prepare students for literature and education-abroad programs, and provide for maintenance of existing language skills. In addition to its regular language classes, the LLP offers self-instructional courses for some 60 languages and has self-study materials for preparing graduate students for foreign-language reading examinations.
Manage and supervise all instructional and public services and personnel of the Linguistics Language Laboratory & Library. Develop, organize and maintain print-and-electronic-media collections of department. Consult with faculty to help provide appropriate technology for pedagogical use. Assist with creation of educational materials with an emphasis on technology use for language teaching and learning. Oversee all aspects and coordination of daily library activities. Represent the Linguistics Language Library and Lab in community outreach, funding opportunities, campus community, and other venues.
- Night and weekend shifts sometimes necessary; able to respond to shifting work schedules.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in programming, media applications, or any other technology related area.
- Proven knowledge of general and library management principles and practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of American Library Association/Library of Congress cataloguing principles for print and electronic media.
- Experience working in a desktop computing environment and using various digital file formats (jpg, TIFF, wav, mp3, etc.) and with multimedia hardware and software (Photoshop, digital audio recorders, iPad, etc.).
- Demonstrated knowledge of current copyright laws regarding print and electronic media.
- Working knowledge of and skill in operating various types of audiovisual equipment, tape-players and desk-top computers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of general computer concepts and database structures, Web design, Word and other pertinent software.
- Strong communication skills to interact clearly, courteously, and effectively with a broad range of people within UCSD and the outside community in person,by phone and through written correspondence. Ability to describe technical procedures, instructions, and proposals both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interact with faculty, staff, students and others (including the general public and foreign persons) in a tactful and professional manner.
- Knowledge of Internet resources, electronic databases, and techniques for on-line bibliographic searching.
- Proven skill in selecting, training, supervising and evaluating employees.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a large body of varied tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work and make decisions independently; strong organization and planning skills.
- Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.