- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $22.11 gross per hour
This position is in the Facilities Management Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Performs journey-level maintenance, repair, diagnosis, trouble-shooting, construction, fabrication and preventive maintenance involving commercial-level electrical, electronic, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), or plumbing work. This classification is distinguished from the Trades Maintenance Specialist job classification by its focus on commercial-level electrical, electronic, HVAC and plumbing work being performed in a vertical construction work environment within Facilities Management Specialty Trades Shops.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: (Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Performs skilled analysis and repair of commercial-level electrical, electronic, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), or plumbing equipment and systems;
Leads others in highly skilled fabrication or modifications of existing or proposed equipment, facilities, systems or their components from verbal directions, sketches, plans, engineering drawings or technical references;
Inspects, services and maintains assigned tools, equipment and vehicles;
Performs quality control analysis on equipment or supported systems for proper functioning and performs remedial actions necessary to assure optimum operations;
Inspects, approves or certifies work of others (if certified or authorized to do so);
Maintains comprehensive activity, operations, service and usage records on supported equipment and systems;
Prepares oral and written activity reports;
Prepares estimates for unique or complex operations, maintenance and special projects from rough sketches and engineering plans or drawings, and documents use and expenditure of materials, supplies and equipment;
Prepares sketches and drawings for work proposed or in-progress to communicate needed information to supervisors, subordinates and contractors;
Coordinates own or work-unit activities with other work-units, agencies or contractors to assure optimal use of available resources and to minimize disruptions of service or support;
Monitors contractor performance (including contractor-supplied goods and services);
Conducts on-the-job training for employees in assigned work-unit;
Stores, handles, uses and disposes of hazardous materials required, encountered or generated in work activities;
Maintains security and accountability for all tools, equipment and materials, particularly for work in medical, law enforcement, detention or correctional settings;
Maintains and uses safety and personal protective equipment;
Implements work-site traffic control procedures to ensure safety;
Explains rules, regulations or procedures to the public and other County employees for use of County facilities;
Collects, labels, transports and analyzes samples of fluids, solids, effluents, etc., encountered in work.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- operation and maintenance of tools, equipment and materials encountered in area of assignment;
- effective lead, training and communications techniques;
- hazards and safety procedures or equipment required in the area of specialization or assigned areas;
- codes and standards applicable to the craft, trade, specialty or area of work assignment;
- basic contracting processes.
- performing journey-level tasks of the skill, trade, craft or area of specialization;
- following written and oral instructions;
- preparing working sketches, drawings and estimates of resources required for assigned projects;
- interpreting and applying required codes or standards to work situations;
- maintaining written documentation of activities;
- leading, supervising and evaluating the work of others;
- conducting and coordinating specialized and on-the-job training in the skill, craft, trade or area of specialization;
- communicating effectively.
(1) Completion of an industry-recognized apprenticeship program in industrial and commercial electrical installationand one year of journey-level experience in the same.
(Relevant education may substitute for up to six months of the aforementioned experience.)OR:
(2) Five years of journey-level experience in industrial andcommercial electricalinstallation.
(Relevant education may substitute for up to two and one half years of the aforementioned experience.)OR:
(3) Two years of experience with Pima County as a Trades Maintenance Technician or Facilities Management Specialty Trade Technician in industrial andcommercial electricalinstallation. Some positions may require additional specialized training and/or experience.
(Relevant education may substitute for up to one year of the aforementioned experience.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A minimum of four (4) years journeyman-level experience in industrial and commercial electrical installation, maintenance, and repair.
- Journeyman-level experience in operation, maintenance, repair, and control wiring of electrical distribution gear, motor control centers, uninterrupted/conditioning power systems, power generators, electrical/electronic locking systems, low/high voltage lighting and related commercial and industrial applications and raceway installations.
- Completion of a state accredited apprenticeship program.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Service's review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items:Ability to obtain jail pass and post offer physical is required.The County requires pre-employment background checks.Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Some positions carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-born pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements:Some positions require the ability to: lift and carry up to seventy-five pounds; safely operate assigned vehicles and other powered equipment; work in extremes of heat, humidity, dust, cold; safely wear required safety clothing/equipment; work with on in the presence of obnoxious odors; work with noxious or potentially hazardous chemicals, compounds or products; ascend and descend ladders and stairs to reach and work upon elevated or below-grade work platforms and job sites; differentiate between colors.
- human resources
- quality control