- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- Forrest City
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning, and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life, to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an educational community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology—and each other to surpass these boundaries—we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson’s Online & Blended Learning K-12 group provides high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions to schools, school districts and students in grades K-12. It serves families and schools with a variety of digital learning and online school solutions including Connections Academy, International Connections Academy, and Pearson Connexus. In 2017, it will deliver online learning to over 400,000 students in the U.S. and 48 countries. The group, formerly known as Connections Education, is based in Columbia, Maryland and has been named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for three consecutive years and a “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum, high-quality teachers and leadership, Pearson Online & Blended Learning is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Working from your secure and distraction-free home office, certified Special Education Substitutes will virtually support the learning program for students in Connections Academy schools across the country. Using the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools, the Special Education Substitute will consult frequently and regularly with students, Learning Coaches and school personnel to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Arkansas Special Education Substitute will act as teacher of record at various Connections Academy schools during periods of short- or long-term absences or vacancies ranging from, but not limited to, 2-20 weeks. This is a part-time position with no benefits.
The duties of a Special Education Substitute include, but are not limited to:
- When on assignment, be online and available to students, parents, and school staff Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the time zone of the school to: Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update individualized learning plans and schedules, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments, and verify student learning.Complete all grading, generate progress reports, and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner, as instructed by the school.Support the instructional program through a combination of synchronous and asynchronous web conferencing sessions (LiveLessons).Work collaboratively with a team of teachers to ensure that all students on the team’s caseload are successfully progressing through the program.Case manage a group of students, writing IEPs and providing direct services.Work with general education teachers to ensure that IEP goals and accommodations are being met, and that students are being provided with FAPE.Support students and parents with alternate instructional strategies and provide assistance with daily assignments and projects.Keep student records and data up to date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and student logs.Work with Advisory Teachers and School Counselors to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress, and established goals are being met.Work with Special Education and 504 instructors to meet student performance and behavior goals/needs, upholding all requirements of IEPs and 504 plans.
- When not on assignment, actively check email to remain informed of upcoming assignments and important Substitute Services updates.
- Meet at least monthly with an assigned Substitute Services supervisor via video conferencing software, whether on or off assignment.
- Complete required professional learning targeted at individual needs throughout the year.
- Maintain active certifications.
- Other duties as assigned. Requirements:
- Highly qualified and certified as a special educator in Arkansas . Special education instruction experience preferredMultiple state certifications a plusAbility to obtain certification in other states as requested
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Maintain a dedicated, distraction-free home working environment where all business activities will occur.
- When on assignment, must be available Monday through Friday during assigned school hours (typically 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the school’s time zone)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to write and monitor IEP plans, and are willing to learn to do so using a variety of software
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment that requires significant flexibility, effective prioritization of tasks, self-direction, and creativity
- Understanding of IEP/504 plans and how they can be implemented in a virtual setting
- Excellent attention to detail, and strong time management and organizational skills
- Proven commitment to student achievement
- Strong technology skills (experience with learning management systems, Microsoft Office programs, and Google Apps is preferred)
- Microsoft OS- and Microsoft Office-equipped computer required (PC preferred)
- Customer focused approach and team-player track record
- May not provide care for others during normal school hours while on assignment. Alternative care arrangements must be made
- May not be employed in another job during normal school hours while on assignment
- Complete required orientation and training programs within 30 days of hire, and at the beginning of each school year
- Ability to work occasional evening hours, as needed, to support some families
About the company