- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
General SummaryThe Paralegal Studies Program at Eastern Michigan University, in the School of Technology Studies & Professional Services Management, invites applications to apply for an Assistant Professor Tenure Track faculty position. This Program is approved by the American Bar Association.
Principal Duties and ResponsibilitiesTeach contractual load of undergraduate and graduate courses as assigned by the department or school.
Responsible for providing quality instruction consistent with sound educational policies and facilitating student learning according to the prescribed curriculum.
Assign and submit grades in accordance with established University schedules.
Keep posted office hours during the week which are scheduled at times most beneficial to students.
Provide academic advising to students, if applicable.
Serve on search committees for hiring of new faculty members, departmental committees and other service committees across the university.
Participate in activities such as student registration, orientation, convocations and commencements.
Attend and participate in scheduled departmental meetings and functions.
Provide other support service to the department, college and/or university, if applicable.
Engage in activities that enables the applicant to remain current in their respective legal field;
Coordinate student internships and act as a liaison with the Legal Resource Center in Ann Arbor, MI.
Engage in pursuits that help to further organize and contribute to growth of the body of knowledge in their respective disciplines, and/or to explore interdisciplinary implications.
Perform related departmental duties as required including recruitment, advising, and program assessment.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between EMU and the EMU Chapter of the American Association of University Professors, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
- Have earned a Juris Doctor Degree (J.D.) and be in good standing as a member of the Michigan Bar Association (or an equivalent state association);
- Be knowledgeable about the paralegal profession;
- Must have taught classes at a 2-4 year institution of higher learning for a minimum of one (1) year;
- Have worked with paralegals for a minimum of 1-3 years in a legal setting;
- Demonstrated knowledge in the legal and professional areas in which they are providing instruction;
- Demonstrated teaching effectiveness and commitment to their continued professional growth as teachers by participating in activities designed to improve teaching effectiveness and professional growth;
- Demonstrated skills to design/redesign course content as new technologies emerge, prepare syllabi, exams, activities, etc.;
- Have professional connections or be willing to make them in order to facilitate student internships;
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral/interpersonal communication skills;
- Demonstrate the ability to perform scholarly activities;
- Preference will be given to those with demonstrated experience or familiarity with online learning.
- Preference will be given to those who have taught in a paralegal studies program either on a full-time or part-time basis, at a 2-4 year institution of higher learning for a minimum of three (3) years;
Supplemental InformationApplication materials must include a letter of application, curriculum vitae including a list of publications (if any), a statement of your teaching philosophy (up to two pages), as well as the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of three references familiar with your qualifications.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
EMU is located in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Its close proximity to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Lansing, and a major international airport provides rich cultural, social and recreational opportunities. EMU was founded in 1849 and is a comprehensive university with an enrollment of over 23,000 students. EMU is an equal opportunity employer, and is recognized regularly by U.S. News and World Report for its diverse campus environment.