- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
We are looking for an Associate Consumer Fraud Analyst. Our Consumer Fraud Analyst team is responsible for risk monitoring, fraud investigating, and reviewing potentially suspicious activity on all Groupon platforms (Local, Travel, Shopping,& Tickets). They respond to all escalated fraudulent incidents that could impact the business including providing evidence in the investigation of criminal behavior and determining final outcome and next steps in response to the results of that investigation. Consumer Fraud Specialists work directly with Customer Service, Legal, Sales, Engineering, and Operations to support the roll out of high risk Groupon initiatives that require additional fraud prevention.
They are the final authority on whether to implement fraud policies with regard to closing a customer account, deciding whether to dispute a chargeback, and determining the legitimacy of a transaction. In this role, you are responsible for cancelling transactions for large and small dollar amounts in the face of suspicious data suggesting a fraudulent order. This position reports to the Consumer Fraud Manager and supports the Global Head of Fraud & Payments in the company’s Risk Management department.
We’re a “best of both worlds” kind of company. We’re big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We’re curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
- Investigation and resolution of suspected instances of consumer fraud such as the use of stolen credit cards, the fraudulent generation of referral credit, or disingenuous complaints
- Monitor and investigate merchants’ credit card processing activities using internal and external risk monitoring tools
- Effectively analyze common patterns of suspicious behavior to prevent future unauthorized activity
- Collaborative work with Risk Management teams responsible for preventing merchant fraud and for recouping written-off funds
- Responsible for all consumer and internal claims that cannot be resolved by Merchant Escalation Specialists, Customer Service Representatives, or Customer Service Managers, or which exceed financial thresholds or situations that could lead to legal or PR involvement
- Train customer service and merchant-facing departments on best practices on how to handle potentially fraudulent transactions or high risk products
- At the request of law enforcement, compile evidence and data for legal subpoenas
- Contact banks to verify transactions processed through merchant accounts
- Complete ad hoc projects given by their direct manager and/or team lead
- Bachelors degree required
- 1-3 years experience in retail or online e-commerce
- Experience in fraud, risk management, or merchant services specifically with chargeback/retrieval responses, dispute resolution, and card compliance
- Knowledge of working with various transaction & risk systems (computer)
- Understanding of Microsoft Excel
- Team player who thrives in fast-paced and high-profile environment
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to self-start and self-direct in an unstructured environment
- Comfortable making creative judgment calls
Please note: Weekly work schedule is set, but it will depend on the team needs. Candidates should be comfortable with some nights and some weekend shifts.
About the company
Groupon is a global e-commerce marketplace connecting millions of subscribers with local merchants by offering activities, travel, goods and services in more than 45 countries. Groupon was launched in November 2008, and the first market for Groupon was Chicago, followed soon thereafter by Boston, New York City, and Toronto. By October 2010 Groupon served more than 150 markets[clarification needed] in North America and 100 markets in Europe, Asia, and South America, and had 35 million registered users. By the end of March 2015, Groupon served more than 500 markets worldwide, nearly 48.1 million active customers and featured more than 425,000 active deals globally