- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Associate Scientist External Manufacturing - GIC
LOCATION: Chicago, IL, US, 60642
JOB CATEGORY: R&D
REQUISITION NUMBER: 170702
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The External Manufacturing Associate Scientist role supports external manufacturing quality initiatives in the region to ensure the ongoing production of high quality and safe food products within the external manufacturing network. This role ensures the implementation of all applicable Mars Global Quality and Food Safety Standards at sites of responsibility. In addition, supports qualification, product start up, performance management, and process improvement initiatives at Mars Wrigley Confectionery external manufacturing locations. The incumbent will use food science, engineering knowledge, quality management, project management and cost of quality skills to identify opportunities to improve consumer satisfaction, optimize processes and establish measures of quality conformance.
• Supports the deployment and compliance of the Mars Global EMQM standard and other applicable standards within the External Manufacturing network
• Validates new lines and/or capabilities at assigned sites. Initiates, develops, and implements the External Manufacturing Product Risk Assessments (EMPRA) and Technical Specifications (TS 1, 2, 3) for assigned external manufacturers. Ensures robust change management procedure is in place and verified.
• Provides technical support in statistical analysis, problem solving, product disposition, and risk assessment related to externally manufactured products.
• Conduct / Support Audits and follows up on CAPA/CI implementations at the external manufacturing sites
• Coordinates and leads incident management and investigation for assigned external manufacturers. This responsibility includes initiation of PRIMPs and executing the business decision regarding product disposition on non-confirming product and incidents which impact food safety.
• Manage the product verification program at assigned sites that will audit the Quality and Food Safety protocols in the production schedule.
• Communication disposition on product to relevant parties, support queries related to packaging, donor product, and finished product
• Partners with Supply and Commercial to lead periodic reviews with external manufacturers on Quality
About the company
Mars is an American global manufacturer of confectionery, pet food, and other food products and a provider of animal care services, with US$33 billion in annual sales in 2015,and is ranked as the 6th largest privately held company in the United States