- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Location:White Mountain National Forest, New Hampshire (Carter Notch, Madison Spring, Lakes of the Clouds, Mizpah Spring, Zealand Falls, Galehead, Greenleaf, Lonesome Lake)
Supervision:Huts Manager and Field Supervisors
Job Dates:May 25, 2020 - August 20, 2020 (preference will be given to qualified applicants who can commit to work this full range of dates)
Summary Description:The Hut Naturalist is an environmental education, research, and customer service position. The Naturalist is responsible for initiating on-site interpretive programs including pre-dinner programs, evening programs, sunrise walks, weather talks, and post-breakfast programs.Thesuccessful candidate will also be responsible forconducting ongoing plant-based phenology research as part of AMC’s Mountain Watch and assisting in day-to-day hut operations. Daily responsibilities also include advertising programs, organizing interpretive materials, maintaining equipment, and keeping associated records. AMC depends on this individual as part of the hut crew to represent our organization and provide an educational and enjoyable mountain experience for each overnight guest and day visitor.Trainings on local ecology, interpretive program development, and Mountain Watch research will be provided to Naturalists before the season begins.
Hut Crew Naturalists should note that there is an increased emphasis on Mountain Watch, AMC’s long- term ecological monitoring program. Naturalists are instrumental in introducing this program to the public, collecting data as appropriate and reporting findings and observations in a timely manner. Background information of Mountain Watch, as well as local ecology, will be forwarded to Naturalists well before the season begins.
All hut positions require excellent guest service skills, backcountry experience, and a commitment to the goals of AMC. Environmental education experience are strongly preferred. The standard work schedule is 11 days at the hut and 3 days off. Daily assignments (packing, cleaning, morning and evening support, interpretive programs) are all shared and will be organized by the resident Hutmaster (onsite manager).
- Present daily local natural and cultural history programs for guests and visitors.
- Develop and maintain program materials and a daily record of program offerings.
- Hike food and supplies to the hut (40 pounds or more) twice a week.
- Assist hut crew in providing information and selling supplies to guests and visitors.
- Prepare, serve and clean up after breakfast and dinner.
- Voluntarily participate in search and rescue operations.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Due to hours worked, applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Program development and presentation experience.
- Backcountry experience.
- Friendly, outgoing manner and commitment to public service.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Interpretive and public speaking experience.
- Demonstrated interest in field of environmental education, preferred.
- Degree (or working towards a degree) with course work in Environmental Studies or Natural Sciences, preferred.
To Apply:Now accepting applications! Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The majority of interviews will be conducted in mid to late January. You will be notified of your application status on a rolling basis. If you are attaching a cover letter and resume, PDFs are the preferred file type.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!