- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
We Are Hiring
- Patient Accounting 001
- 20th Avenue Bldg
- Friday 8 hour days
- flexible work time: as early as 6:15am
Evaluation and Management (EM) experience a strong plus.
Certified Medical Coder
Why Join Ascension?
In Tennessee, Ascension's Saint Thomas Health operates nine hospitals in addition to a comprehensive network of affiliated joint ventures, medical practices, clinics and rehabilitation facilities covering a 68-county area and employing more than 8,000 associates.
Across the state, Saint Thomas Health provides a wide variety of inpatient and outpatient services.
The clinical programs and medical facilities are continuously updated to meet both the changing needs of the community and the challenges posed by innovations in technology.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care.
As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need.
In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Saint Thomas Health Svcs-TN, you will have the opportunity to apply the appropriate diagnostic and procedural code to patient health records for purposes of document retrieval, analysis and claim processing.
- Abstracts pertinent information from patient records.
Assigns the International Classification of Diseases, Clinical Modification (ICD), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) or Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes, creating Ambulatory Patient Classification (APC) or Diagnosis-Related Group (DRG) assignments.
- Obtains acceptable productivity/quality rates as defined per coding policy.
- Queries physicians when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes.
- Maintains knowledge of and complies with coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements.
- Conducts chart audits for physician documentation requirements & internal coding; provides associate/physician & education as appropriate.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines.
- Keeps abreast of and complies with coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements.
What You Will Need
- High school diploma or GED required
Equal Employment Opportunity
Saint Thomas Health Services complies with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination in hiring or employment practices on the basis of citizenship, race, color, religion, gender, age, national and ethnic origin, disability, or veteran status.
No question or item on this application for employment is intended to secure information to be used for such discrimination.
Information obtained through this application will be used solely to determine qualifications and suitability for employment.
This application will be valid for a period of 90 days from date of completion.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application.
Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment.
Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Saint Thomas Health participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)