- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $3,305.00 gross per month
**The recruitment period for this vacancy has been extended.**
This position is open to Alaska Residents only.
Please check our residency definition to determine if you qualify.
The Ketchikan Pioneer Home (KPH) is recruiting for a full-time
Certified Nurse Aide II position.
The Ketchikan Pioneer Home is recruiting for a highly motivated Permanent full time Certified Nurse Aide II. This is a lead position and will provide guidance and instruction to other direct care staff. The incumbent is expected to assist the nursing staff with assigning tasks to team members and will provide valuable input regarding performance of team members. This is a key position that works closely with nursing staff and other department managers. The person in this position is expected to attend Assisted Living Plan meetings (ALP's), team meetings and trainings as needed.
The incumbent will work with elderly residents that not only experience physical limitations, but also have varying degrees of confusion/dementia. The Certified Nurse Aide II will provide interventions with confused residents when warranted.
The incumbent performs routine aide duties such as monitoring proper hydration and body functions including taking blood pressure, pulse and temperature, and taking and recording height and weight. The Certified Nurse Aide II will administer medications under the direction of a licensed nurse.
The Certified Nurse Aide II will assist with Activities of Daily Living (ADL's) by encouraging residents to be self-reliant, assisting residents to and from dining room, and providing reminders and cueing to meals, etc. This position will be responsible for replenishing resident supplies on a weekly basis.
The Certified Nurse Aide II is responsible for recognizing and reporting any significant changes in physical, mental and emotional well-being, and any unusual signs and symptoms of common diseases and conditions. The incumbent maintains a clean and orderly environment, assists residents to social and recreational activities, promotes good mental health of residents, and participates in in-services and training sessions. The incumbent performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Sufficient knowledge of the role and responsibility of a nurse aide, basic nursing tasks, safety concepts related to nursing, hygiene and restorative care, the process of aging, and psychosocial needs of the elderly to readily and properly perform in a broad spectrum of work situations.
- Sufficient knowledge of the principles of body mechanics in transferring and providing personal care to the elderly, and effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills to readily and properly perform in all normal and adverse work situations.
- Ability to perform basic nursing, hygiene, and restorative tasks for individuals with cognitive or mobility impairments.
- Ability to recognize abnormal signs and symptoms of common diseases and conditions.
- Ability to transfer, position, and assist in ambulation of individuals with cognitive or mobility impairments.
- Positive outgoing personality.
- Effective communication skills.
- Willing to provide and accept feedback regarding the duties of the position.
- Skill in verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Team player with a great sense of humor.
- Ability to assess a situation quickly, and respond appropriately, especially with regard to safety.
- Ability to organize and implement activities for large and small groups of residents with varying cognitive abilities.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to lead small and large group activities with enthusiasm, creativity and flexibility.
- Ability to be very physically active, including having the ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work with cats and birds.
OTHER INFORMATION FOR THIS POSITION:
- The Pioneer Home is an Eden Alternative facility. The selected candidate may have contact with plants and flowers, and with pets including cats, dogs, fish and birds.
- This position is in support of the Pioneer Home, which is a 24 hour facility.
- Employees of the Pioneer Home receive continual screening for tuberculosis and criminal history.
To view the general description and example of duties for the Certified Nurse Aide II position, please go to the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/Alaska/classspecs
Eligibility for certification to practice as a Certified Nurse Aide in the State of Alaska;
One year of experience as a Certified Nurse Aide I with the State of Alaska or the equivalent elsewhere.
Candidates not currently certified by the State of Alaska, who otherwise meet the eligibility requirements for certification as a Nurse Aide in the State of Alaska and requisite qualifying experience, may apply for vacancies in this job class. Applicants qualifying under this option may receive a conditional job offer; however, proof of certification will be required prior to final appointment and reporting for duty.
Some positions may require the successful applicant to pass a background investigation, including fingerprinting, as a prerequisite to employment. These requirements will be indicated at the time of recruitment.
Some positions may require the successful applicant to provide proof they are free from active pulmonary tuberculosis at the time of hire. Employees are required to be tested annually. These requirements will be indicated at the time of recruitment.
Additional Required Information
At time of interview applicant must provide:
- Two (2) professional work references and three (3) character references personal with current contact information.
- A copy of your Nurse Aide certification or proof of completion of a recognized Certified Nurse Aide program.
If selected and prior to hire, applicant must:
- Submit to fingerprinting and criminal background check screening.
- Provide a copy of current CPR and First Aid certificates.
- Provide current evidence to the administrator to be free from active pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) with test results dated within the last 12 months prior to start date.
Please read the below information carefully. This applies to your application submission.
To verifyeducation being used tomeet therequired minimum qualifications, you must fill in the Education section of the application. If you have not obtained a degree, please indicate the number of units completed. Copies of transcripts are required to verify educational credentialsbeing used to meet the minimum qualifications for a position and are required with each application. (Unofficial are okay, please ensure that the institution/URL name is listed on the transcripts). Transcripts can be attached at the time of application, provided at the time of interview, or if/when requested prior toscheduling aninterview.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements, if applicable. If utilizing this education you must show that the education credentials have been submitted to a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and that such education has been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs; or an accredited U.S. state university reports the other institution as one whose transcript is given full value, or full value is given in subject areas applicable to the curricula at the state university. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Omission of required documentation listed will result in an incomplete application and you will not receive further consideration.
Whenusing work experience not already documented in your application,please provide the employer name, your job title, dates of employment, and whether full-or part-time. Applications will be reviewed to determine if the responses are supported and minimum qualifications are clearly met. Work experience needed to meetthe minimum qualifications must be documented in the application. If the application does not support minimum qualifications, the applicant may not advance to the interview and selection phase of the recruitment. A resume will not be used to determine that minimum qualifications have been met for the position in which you are applying.
If you are currently or previously been appointed to a flexibly staffed position please ensure your work experience within a flexibly staffed position indicates the actual dates employed at each level. Ensure your time and any subsequent flex promotion(s) are documented as a separate position. This is required as there are minimum qualifications that require experience at a particular level in which the lower level may not be considered. If this information is not accurately reflected in your application this may cause the processing of your application for consideration to be delayed.
NOTE: Attaching a resume or curriculum vitaeis not an alternative to filling out the application in its entirety. Noting "see resume or CV" or any similar response on any portion of your application may lead to a determination your application is incomplete and removal from consideration for this job posting.
The State of Alaska does not provide VISA Employer sponsorships.
This position is open to Alaska Residents only. Please check our residency definition to determine if you qualify.
This recruitment may be used for more than one (1) vacancy. The applicant pool acquired during this recruitment may be used for future vacancies for up to ninety (90) days after this recruitment closes.