- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Clerk IV/University Registrar's OfficeJob no: 503745
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Undergraduate Registrar
Categories: Administrative/Office Support
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Records approved transfer and test credits onto student records. Verifies that students have met undergraduate degree requirements and records their graduation. Provides back-up as needed to UWW in other registration and records functions in working as part of a student services team. Performs related work as required.
- Reviews transcripts from other institutions submitted by students in a CE-UG degree program. Enters the transferrable courses on SPIRE. Runs transfer evaluation software to search for UMass equivalents and finalizes student’s transfer credits in the student’s record including updating academic statistics and the student’s transcript. If no transfer equivalency exists, forward the transcript to an Admissions Counselor for evaluation. Updates and maintains contents of files for transfer students. Purges files according to retention guidelines.
- Performs a detailed review of all transfer credit data passed from the Admissions Office into student records through the Transfer Credits Evaluation System. Corrects all errors and adjusts the total transfer credit limit to meet University requirements. Processes internal transfer of credits from other University programs and exceptions from departments.
- Updates academic statistics and the student’s transcript. Responds to inquiries about test credit policy and procedure from students, departments and others. Posts test credits, special transcript credits, prior learning credits and transfer credits. Processes Fresh Start changes for eligible UWW students.
- Records data related to degree clearances, majors, minors, concentrations, honors, senior billing, certificates and simultaneous degrees. Also posts changes in graduation dates.
- Plans and completes graduation clearance three times a year. Collects degree clearance information from the academic departments, schools and Commonwealth College. Verifies which students have met all graduation requirements, and posts degrees and certificates to graduates’ academic records. Works with Academic Advisors from each degree program to resolve any questions regarding graduation clearance.
- Responds to verbal inquiries received from faculty departments, parents and students and answers correspondence pertaining to degree clearances. Correspond with University department personnel to collect information for problem resolution.
- Processes a variety of student registration and records forms and provides customer service as part of a team student services function. Accesses, retrieves, interprets data and performs real-time data entry and update in PeopleSoft Student systems.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in interacting with a diverse community of students, parents, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Ability to work under pressure, maintain accuracy, follow through on detailed tasks, and meet deadlines in a busy environment.
- Ability to understand, explain, and apply the laws, policies and procedures governing a Registrar's Office including FERPA.
- Ability to determine the proper format and procedure for assembling items of information.
- Computing proficiency; experience with word processing and data entry.
- Working knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and math.
- Flexibility in approaching tasks; willingness to contribute effort towards office-wide priorities and projects.
M-F 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (37.5 hours per week)
Please submit with your application, a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Nov 7 2019 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Nov 13 2019 Eastern Standard Time