- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
The Clinical Phlebotomist works under the direct supervision of the Outpatient Laboratory Director and Outpatient Laboratory Manager for specimen collection and the delivery of reports.
- High School diploma or equivalent Experience:
- Experience in a Laboratory Setting, following laboratory procedures and knowledge of infection prevention and control is preferred Other Skills Required:
- Verifies test requisitions by comparing information with nursing station log; bringing discrepancies to the attention of unit personnel
- Verifies patient by reading patient identification
- Obtains blood specimens by performing venipunctures and finger sticks.
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures.
- Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time
- Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating, and noting times of collection; maintaining daily tallies of collections performed.
- Monitors glucose levels by performing bedside glucose tests; recording results; reporting results to unit nurse-manager
- Performs bleeding-times tests by entering results to the computer; notifying pathologist of results falling outside normal ranges
- Maintains quality results by following department procedures and testing schedule; recording results in the quality-control log; identifying and reporting needed changes
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations
- Resolves unusual test orders by contacting the physician, pathologist, nursing station, or reference laboratory; referring unresolved orders back to the originator for further clarification; notifying supervisor of unresolved orders
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and JCAHO standards
- Enhances the phlebotomy department and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments. Covenant Health Mission Statement
We are a Catholic health ministry, providing healing and care for the whole person, in service to all in our communities.
We show respect, caring and sensitivity towards all, honoring the dignity of each person, especially the poor, vulnerable and suffering.
We promote justice and ethical behavior, and responsibly steward our human, financial and environmental resources.
We work in partnership, dialogue and shared purpose to create healthy communities.
We deliver all services with the highest level of quality, while seeking creative innovation.
About the company