- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Job location: Perelman Center for Adv Medicine
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-12-02
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Clinical Research Nurse C
Job Profile Title
Clinical Research Nurse C
Job Description Summary
The Clinical and Translational Research Program for Lymphomas and Other Related Diseases (“Program”) of the University of Pennsylvania seeks a full-time Clinical Trials Nurse C (“Nurse”). This position will (1) ensure the accurate execution of research protocols in accordance with Good Clinical Practices, HIPAA, and other federal/institutional requirements, and (2) meet required obligations to patients/subjects, Principal Investigator, study team and Sponsor/CRO.
Position is contingent upon funding.
This individual will work under general supervision. Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Participate in PSSVs; assist the Unit Managers to initiate start-up for industry-sponsored and investigator-initiated trials; collaborate with Pharmacy and Clinical Analysts to build chemo orders; proactively review the protocol and associated manuals, ask questions and pursue corrections/clarifications, if needed.
- Coordinate complex clinical trials; pre-screen potential patients who are referred by other physicians, who contact the study team directly, or have upcoming clinic visits; lead or contribute to informed consent discussion in accordance with PA state law; review eligibility criteria with PI and facilitate exception requests, if needed.
- Establish nursing care plan; develop, schedule, oversee and ensure timely/appropriate documentation of study-related visits, testing and interventions; maintain open communication with clinical teams and act as a liaison between caregivers; provide training and support to study staff and clinical teams, as applicable.
- Care for subjects from young adult through geriatrics; provide clinical services and patient education; provide psychosocial support and make suggestion/referrals to other professional staff as appropriate; ensure subjects are sent home with complete/accurate instructions for treatment and follow-up; handle any questions within level of expertise and referring other questions to PI or medical team.
- Oversee administration of medications, chemotherapeutic drugs, and other treatment agents or study interventions; monitor effects/issues, review test results for abnormalities and trends, and prioritize urgent and routing problems; document and report AEs, SAEs, EOIs and non-medical events; communicate protocol-specific management of toxicities and adverse events with medical staff.
- Demonstrate knowledge of patient care related to hematologic malignancies (and other related diseases), treatment, medication side effects and short and long-term complications as evidenced by documentation and observations.
- Contribute to study-related meetings such as SIVs, IMVs, COVs, internal audits and ongoing training sessions; participate in Sponsor/CRO teleconferences; share updates/issues with study team members; participate in study team meetings, disease-level meetings, and working groups; act as a mentor and provide coverage and support to other nurses to meet staffing needs.
- Maintain complete, accurate, and well-organized study files from patient screening through final follow-up; disseminate valid/accurate study data to CRCs and DMs; report study data within timelines specified by the Agreement.
- Maintain list of incidental deviations; contribute information to reportable deviations, other unexpected events and exception request; assist with various regulatory submissions, respond to IRB issues or concerns, and remain aware of the regulatory statuses for assigned protocols; may be asked to contribute to study protocols and associated documents.
- Perform other duties as reasonably assigned.
Registered Nurse with licensure and in good standing to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with 2-3 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Oncology experience highly preferred. Clinical research experience preferred but not required. Position requires ability to perform phlebotomy, accessing central lines and peripheral IV insertion. BSN preferred.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.