- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
CASES keeps people out of jail and prison by engaging them in effective services that help them achieve success in the community. We specialize in serving youth and young adults and people with behavioral health needs. CASES is a leading New York City provider of alternatives to incarceration, a key solution for a fairer criminal justice system. This is an important time at CASES. New York City is on track to create a smaller, safer, and fairer criminal justice system. Working at CASES is more than a job. It is an opportunity to promote justice for New Yorkers with access to high-quality and evidence-based court services.
The goal is to serve individuals who have been or are at-risk for involvement with the juvenile or adult judicial systems.Through their work with these individuals, the Credible Messenger will promote peace and community-building by giving people critical tools to solve disputes non-violently, reduce arrests and/or re-arrests in the community, and increase their engagement in programs and services.
- Build authentic, long-term mentorship relationships with system-involved youth and adults with the goal of supporting individuals to develop, and then stick to, their own individual plans for change
- Serve as a broker to connect legal system-involved youth and adults to pro-social activities, positive peer groups, as well as formal and informal community supports
- Coordinate and promote regular anti-gun violence workshops and pro-social events
- Facilitate peer support network for young people with the goal of supporting youth to maintain their commitment to positive behavior
- Work with communities and populations who may be at increased risk for violence to identify emerging community issues that impact public safety
- Take a lead role in guiding strategic programmatic and agency responses to these emerging community issues
- Working with justice involved youth and adults: 1 year (Required)
- Demonstrated connection to at-risk communities
- Preference given to individuals with lived experience within the criminal legal system
- Individual holds a transformative justice framework: a belief that justice involvement is a public health issue that impacts individuals, relationships, communities, and society at large
- Ability to engage, build relationships, and demonstrate empathy with youth and adult individuals
- Demonstrated experience, either paid or unpaid, working with justice system-involved youth
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and follow through skills with the ability to coordinate multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Self-motivated with the ability to be resourceful, efficient, flexible, and to work effectively under pressure
- Capacity to work both independently and collaboratively with staff members across multiple programs and program sites
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends, and as-needed in response to emerging events and crises
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with demonstrated experience and skills.CASES also offers an excellent benefits package.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
CASES is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with CASES is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status. We also actively recruit individuals with prior involvement in the criminal justice system.Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.