- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- Provides assistance to children crossing streets on their way to and from school and any other pedestrians crossing the street during the times assigned for a total of two hours a day.
- Responsible for providing their own transportation to and from their assigned work station where they wear and use Department issued safety equipment consisting of a safety vest and a hand-held "STOP" sign.
- Requires continuous observation of traffic conditions before periodically walking into the street to halt vehicular traffic by displaying the hand held "STOP" sign. The guard permits crossing only when absolutely certain all traffic is halted, and permits traffic to resume only after all children have fully crossed the street.
- Reports any observed traffic hazards to supervisor or Police Department, and may be called upon to assist police and other City departments in simple assignments consistent with their normal work routine.
Federal, state and local statute books, safety manuals, radio, telephone equipment, maps, safety vest and a hand-held "STOP" sign. PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF WORK :
Light work, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Walking or standing to a significant degree is normally required.
Type of physical demands: reaching (extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction); handling (seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hands); far vision (clarity of vision at 20 feet or more); near vision (clarity of vision at 20 inches or less);depth perception (ability to judge distance and space relationships so as to see objects where and as they actually are, including safety to oneself and others); field of vision (observing an area that can be seen up and in a given point, when required to see a large area while keeping the eyes fixed); climbing (ascending or descending stairs, ramps ladders and the like using feet and legs).
Environmental conditions: subject to inside and outside environmental conditions. No effective protection from weather conditions or from temperature changes. Minimum Qualifications
- Requires no previous experience or minimum level of education.
- Knowledge of proper methods utilized in safely directing vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Ability to remain calm and in control at all times. Ability to communicate to children and adults in a courteous and friendly manner in order to maintain a safe environment.
- Ability to apply principles of logic to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to read safety rules, street signs, newspapers, maps, and other information; ability to use all parts of speech in a manner understandable to the receiver; ability to speak effectively, with voice, diction, phonetics and grammar that are understandable and audible to the listener and with poise, voice control and confidence.
About the company