- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Dec 3, 2019
Amherst College invites applications for the Custodial Supervisor position. The Custodial Supervisor is a full time, year round position, job group and level SM-1. Given Amherst’s distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community with regard to race, ethnicity, ability, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Custodial Supervisor oversees the cleanliness and sanitation and maintenance of Academic, Administrative and dormitory buildings. Areas include; offices, classrooms, fitness center, laboratories, dormitory rooms, furnishings and equipment as well as building entrances and exterior walkways. Requires attention to detail, problem-solving, organizational, interpersonal, project management, and communication skills.
The Custodial Supervisor takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Work schedule: The position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even when the College is closed. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times may be required. The work schedule may vary and corresponds to the College’s operational needs, but generally is Monday through Friday.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise, train, and evaluate Custodial staff while also working closely with Special Services in providing assistance for office moves and special events.
- Working with Campus partners; OSA, CASE, Parent Programs, Campus Police, in scheduling/planning of Summer Conferences, College events and addressing dormitory related issues
- Process payroll, develop accurate work assignments, submit reports as needed and address all issues related to work requests
- Plan, organize and coordinate work utilizing various software tools that include; School Dude, TMA, EMS, Star Rez.
- Snow / Ice removal, respond to emergencies.
- High School, Vocational diploma, or equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License and successful credentialing is required in order to operate college vehicles
- Valid Dot Medical Card
- CORI check
- Commitment to, experience with, and ability to work effectively with a broad spectrum of individuals from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong customer service, time management, organizational problem solving and project management skills.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and the ability to learn new software programs.
- Attention to detail
- Associates degree in business
- Similar role at an academic institution or large facility
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college’s community is composed of about 1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
- customer service
- ms project