- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
JOB PURPOSE: Provides application and technical leadership in the development of detailed system specifications for major business/infrastructure and/or development, integration and implementation projects. Applies systems solutions to business/technical problems through customer interactions, and by providing assistance to less experienced analysts in the design, programming, debugging, testing, and integration/implementation of complex, medium to large-sized automated information technology systems or infrastructure component implementation projects.
JOB RELATED STATISTICS:
JOB DUTIES: This position reports to an IT Supervisor, Senior IT Supervisor or IT Manager, as do other staff jobs in application systems and technical infrastructure sections. Responsibilities of the incumbents are across functional lines with individuals assigned in new program development and/or maintenance of existing mobile, WEB, Cloud, server, personal computer, mainframe, and/or distributed computing systems.
- Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
- Provides programming and application/technical leadership, guidance, and assistance to other team members.
- Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
- Develops major system modules, programs or integrates infrastructure components based on requirements gathered from customers.
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
- Fully knowledgeable of the relevant programming languages, program design and specification development, programming logic, logic diagrams, system analysis techniques, testing, debugging, documentation standards, file design, storage and internal systems and cross platform infrastructure components; can provide training on these topics for others.
- Performs implementation and integration tasks for medium to large, complex in-house developed systems and/or purchased software solutions.
- Assists customers with documentation, training and usability efforts.
- Integrates processes across functional organizations.
The position manages the completion of its own work assignments and coordinates work with others. Based on past experiences and knowledge, the incumbent normally works independently with minimal management input and review of end results.
Typical customers include Caterpillar customers, dealers, other external companies who purchase services offered by Caterpillar as well as internal business unit and/or service center groups. The position is challenged to quickly and correctly identify problems that may not be obvious. The incumbent solves problems by determining the best course of action, within departmental guidelines, from many existing solutions. The incumbent sets priorities and establishes a work plan in order to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results. The position participates in brainstorming sessions focused on developing new approaches to meeting quality goals in the measure(s) stated.
- Position requires a four year degree from an accredited college or university OR 8 plus years of job-related work experience with an two year degree.
- 8 plus years of Information Technology experience
- 5 plus years of performing software / application development experience.
TOP CANDIDATE WILL ALSO HAVE:
- Bachelor or Associate Degree in Information Technology, MIS, Computer Science, Information Processing, Engineering, or CIS (Computer Information Systems).
- Demonstrated skills in development, support, and implementation of IT applications, with progressively increasing responsibilities over a period of 10+ years.
- Demonstrated expertise with PTC’s Windchill application platform as an architect, administrator, and/or developer.
- Demonstrated expertise with other PTC SLM tools (Publishing Engine, Service Information Manager/Service Parts, Arbortext Editor).
- Prior experience with business processes related to New Product Introduction, Product Support, or Technical Information Authoring.
- Ability to breakdown requirements into project estimates and determine timelines and dependencies with other domains/ projects.
- Ability to actively and constantly collaborate with other employees including product owners, developers, support team, quality-assurance team, leadership, and more.
- Strong ability to troubleshoot, strong interpersonal communications with users and other developers, ability to learn quickly, and ability to work in a team environment.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.