- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Director, Medical Science Liaisons
United States of America
Job ID: 201905-113739
Apply For This Job
Return to Search Results
The MSL / MC MSL Team Lead establishes the long-term vision, strategy, plans, objectives, and infrastructure for their MSL team(s). The MSL Team Lead is in charge of leading, managing, and supporting those in USMA with customer facing engagement and experience. The MSL Team Lead plays a crucial role in facilitating strong MSL relationships with the external scientific, medical, and managed care communities, spending time externally with customers in expert peer-to-peer engagements. As MSL teams are mapped to Squads, MSL Team Leads serve as conduits between Field, Medical, and Access Squad partners on one to three squads ensuring that field-based decisions are aligned with Squad priorities as well as ensuring that the Field Medical perspective is voiced to the Squads in accordance with TA-specific and overall USMA goals and objectives; additionally they will work internally with Network of Scientists to ensure customer insights are brought in-house & linked to strategy. In addition to supporting their therapeutic area(s) or managed care team, the MSL Team Lead also serves as a Work Product Owner of other Field Medical and broader Genentech projects up to 30% of the time depending on workload across squads and overall team size.
- Lead and set vision, objectives, and goals for therapy area(s) / portfolio for their field medical team in alignment with guidance from Squad(s) and FMT Head or general business needs, based on customer focus
- Build, cultivate, leverage, and share relationships with external national scientific, medical, and managed care communities, depending on customer focus, to ensure strong understanding of evolving healthcare trends across the respective squad landscape
- For MSL teams with Squads, ensure that field-based decisions are aligned with Squad priorities and that field medical perspective is incorporated in key organizational decisions
- Participate in cross-functional therapeutic area and portfolio strategic and tactical planning involving Medical Affairs, and, where appropriate, Marketing, Access, and Customer-Facing Organization partners on the Squad
- Develop and leverage key relationships with collaborators across the organization, to include other USMA partners, gRED, pRED, PD, commercial, government affairs, and clinical operations
- Support FMT Head in identifying key deliverables, insights, and metrics that demonstrate the value of the MSL organization and communicate with senior leaders across CMG on a regular basis; collaborate across CMG national field leaders to ensure consistency in strategic priorities
- Track and provide quantitative and qualitative data from MSL activities that demonstrate customer impact to the broader organization and ensure goal achievement
- Lead, train, and support individual MSLs through working with MSL Field Leads to identify opportunities for upskilling, ongoing training, and development of core competencies; engage 10-15 top-tier customers to augment MSL relationships
- Maintain effective and appropriate communication and collaboration with CMG T&D on type and depth of Scientific and Health Economic Engagement resources required to develop MSL competencies needed to facilitate appropriate customer engagement across the Genentech portfolio
- Serve as coach to MSL Field Leads and individual contributors through mentorship and acting as a role model; ensure pull-through of new MSL competencies and scientific strategies facilitated by Field Leads
- Collaborate with the Network of Scientists on content and communication of MSL as well as scientific communication with field (e.g., safety data and trials) and work projects (e.g. ASPs, content creation, proactive communication, FMT Field Policy changes)
- Ensure consistent customer experience for every MSL by going out in the Field for field visits
- Serve as Work Product Owner of Pulse Projects within Field Medical (10% of time spent) and outside Field Medical (20%)
Candidates for this position should hold the following qualifications, have the following experience, and be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities to be considered as a suitable applicant. Please note that except where specified as “preferred,” or as a “plus,” all points listed below are considered minimum requirements. Years of experience listed below can be substituted with equivalent, relevant competency levels
- Advanced Clinical/Science Degree is preferred but not required (e.g., PharmD, PhD, MSN, MPH, etc.)
- GCP (Good Clinical Practice) and ICH (International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use) proficient
- In-depth knowledge of Phase IV/post-marketing drug development is preferred
- Relevant therapeutic area knowledge, dependent on customer base
- Comprehensive understanding of product and safety profiles
- In-depth knowledge/understanding of managed care, health economics, healthcare reimbursement, managed care customers, and the distribution channels relevant to pharmaceutical/biotechnology organizations
- Familiarity with the current legal and regulatory landscape pertinent to the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry
- 10+ years of pharmaceutical/biotech industry experience
- Extensive experience leading and managing MSLs or a customer facing team with 5 or more years' related work experience (academic, research, clinician, consulting or industry experience)
- Prior experience as a field medical science liaison is preferred
- Strong understanding of the healthcare landscape and customer required
- 2 or more years’ clinical or health economic research experience (either in industry or in another, related setting) is preferred
- 2 years of therapeutic area experience preferred
- Exceptional communication skills with extensive experience influencing senior leaders with key decisions
- Interpersonal, organizational savvy, and effective at conflict resolution; highly respected as an experienced and credible professional
- Ability to effectively collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the organization (e.g., Squad, Field Partner, Medical Partner, Network of Scientists, Medical CT&D)
- Strong understanding of the drug development process, FDA regulations, customer engagement landscape to include HCPs, healthcare decision makers, patients, patient advocates, managed care customers, etc.
- Embraces change, embodies a continuous improvement mindset, and exemplifies agile principles in day-to-day activities
- Embraces an agile mindset to develop necessary processes to get things done. Knows how to organize people and activities effectively to achieve impactful outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, prioritizing and management of high level initiatives and projects; building and leading teams; coaching and developing others; strong negotiation skills and ability to influence without authority; excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
- Business travel by air or car is required for regular internal and customer facing meetings. Both national and international travel may be required.
- While full-time home office presence is highly recommended, role may be field-based with travel to home office
- Amount of travel will be commensurate with business need; those based in SSF may travel up to 50% of time and those based elsewhere likely traveling up to 80% of time between SSF and in person customer engagements.
- May come in as D1 with current level of expertise with proven ability to operate independently before advancing to D2 level
Who We Are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry
for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and
life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious
illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees
are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
Return to Search Results
About the company
Genentech is a leading biotechnology company that discovers, develops, manufactures and commercializes medicines to treat patients with serious or life-threatening medical conditions. We are among the world's leading biotech companies, with multiple products on the market and a promising development pipeline.