- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Duties and ResponsibilitiesDirector, Academic Support ServicesKennedy King College
The City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) is made up of seven colleges, the largest community college system in Illinois and one of the largest nationally. We provide more than 80,000 students each year access to a quality, affordable education. CCC supports students in meeting their goals – whether that is pursuit of a credential to head into or advance in the workforce, an associate degree with the intention to transfer to a four-year college, free GED or ESL courses, or continuing education. CCC seeks candidates committed to our students’ success and offers a unique opportunity for faculty and staff to have a lasting impact in our students’ lives.
Primary Objective:Reporting to an Associate Dean of Instruction at an assigned college, the Director of Academic Support Services is responsible for developing robust academic support services and other data-driven strategies to impact student success. The position will develop content for tutoring and other supplemental instructional programs for students in need of academic support. Will direct the delivery of quality tutoring programs and wrap-around services. The position works collaboratively with college administrators, faculty and managers from areas of Enrollment Management, Student Retention and Success and Student Affairs to establish processes to identify “at risk” students and to develop intervention strategies for engaging students in obtaining tutoring and other support services needed for academic success. Performs related duties as required.
Tutoring and other academic support services play a key role in the Office of Academic Affairs (OAA) Student Retention and Success initiatives. Each college within the District has its own distinctive structure and models for providing tutoring and other services that best meet the needs of its students, with all colleges providing tutoring centers staffed by professional and peer tutors that offer a range of tutoring services and programs in content areas across the curriculum including math, reading and writing, sciences, and foreign languages.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises tutors and other positions accountable for overseeing the day to day operations of college’s tutoring centers including the Math, Writing and Reading, and General Tutoring Centers. Ensures centers are adequately staffed to meet tutoring needs of students in various subject areas and disciplines.
- Coordinates work efforts with District level managers to develop and implement key performance measures to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of tutoring programs and services, to identify potential gaps in services, and to implement change to improve the performance and quality of tutoring services.
- Interviews and provides final recommendations for the selection and hiring of professional and peer tutors. Establishes performance measures and prepares performance evaluations for staff. Represents the college at employee disciplinary hearings; administers disciplinary actions as required; and recommends termination of employment when appropriate. Director of Academic Support Services 2
- Supports the development of an annual strategic plan and budget in the area of Academic Support Services. Monitors expenditures to ensure adherence to the budget and resources needed to support all tutoring programs.
- Reviews student data using various reporting systems to identify trends and evaluate factors such as enrollment levels, retention rates and learning outcomes to assess the academic progress and success rate of students in completing courses and progressing towards completion/graduation.
- Prepares periodic departmental reports to college and District leadership.
- Works with Coordinators and college administrators in establishing policy and procedure manuals for tutoring programs, developing guidelines, and creating instructional materials and other resources to support tutoring services.
- Creates professional development and on-going training to ensure tutors are providing quality customer service and are current on new initiatives from the college and the District Office.
- Provides tutoring centers and tutors with the needed resources to assist students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material, improve academic capabilities, and develop study skills necessary for academic success.
- Works with faculty to refer and engage students to tutoring through early warning system.
- Prepares a comprehensive assessment plan to determine the effectiveness of tutors and tutoring in various disciplines.
- Collaborates with District personnel, faculty, and college administrators to support early alert campaign initiatives.
- Provides analysis and assessment to support faculty in identifying “at risk” students and initiating early alert procedures to provide students with needed tutoring and other academic support.
- Collaborates with faculty to develop and implement an embedded tutoring model to serve as supplemental instruction to improve course success rates.
- Coordinates work efforts with Enrollment Management, Marketing and other stakeholders to develop outreach and communications campaigns to increase student awareness and engagement in tutoring programs and services.
Reporting Relationships:Report to: Associate Dean of InstructionDirect Supervision: Coordinator II and/or I, Tutors
QualificationsEducation, Training and Experience
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Education, Counseling or arelated field
- Two to five years of work experience in student affairs, student development, or in arelated area in a higher education student services environment
- Experience working with tutoring or academic support services in a multi-site communitycollege setting in an urban environment is highly desirable
- Experience in using academic technologies such as PeopleSoft student informationsystems, tutoring management systems and early alert systems is desirable
- A combination of education and experience may be taken into consideration based onthe applicant’s credentials
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The following generally describes the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to enter thejob and/or be learned within a short period of time to successfully perform the assignedduties
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Good knowledge of best practices used in tutoring post-secondary education students
- Good knowledge of college’s early alert procedures for identifying “at risk” students
- Knowledge of standards used by agencies provided accreditation, such as the CollegeReading and Learning Accreditation, to tutoring programs
- Excellent inter-personal and verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to work independently as well as lead project teams
- Demonstrated ability to improve student success in a higher education setting
- General office environment
- Standard office equipment
- Computers and peripheral equipment
- Ability to operate computers and related equipment and software
- Leadership – Demonstrate willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions anddirection
- Initiative – Demonstrate willingness to take on responsibilities and job challenges
- Dependability – Demonstrate reliability, responsibility, and dependability and fulfillobligations.
- Adaptability/Flexibility – Be open to change (positive or negative) and to considerablevariety in the workplace
- Analytical Thinking – Analyze information and use logic to address work issues
- Technologically Informed – Capable user of technology who understands the role oftechnology in the institution and who will guide and support its efficient and effective use
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago.
Primary Location: Kennedy King College
Job Posting: Dec 2, 2019, 1:32:41 PM