- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Job TitleDirector of Web, Emerging Technology and InnovationDepartmentOffice of the VP Information Technology, Chief Information OfficerFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20246Open Date11/08/2019Close DateSalary InformationSalary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Work ScheduleMonday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. May occasionally be required to extended work hours and be available outside normal working hours.
Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition SummaryThe director of web, emerging technology and innovation leads an existing web team and will establish a practice focused on emerging technologies and technology innovation. The position is responsible for the strategic direction of the group, ensuring alignment with the University’s mission and vision. The web team is responsible for the architecture, code, and uptime of the Rice University websites. It consists of web infrastructure and a custom web development team. The team partners with Public Affairs and other units on campus throughout the entire web project life cycle, assesses the requirements, determines the appropriate architecture, makes relevant recommendations, establishes an implementation plan, and executes according to the plan to produce innovative web-based solutions.
Additionally, this position establishes an emerging technology practice that embraces the accelerating tech-driven disruption. The emerging technology practice, as a cross-functional team, will monitor tech developments broadly, but dive deeply into a short-list of technologies from researching the trends to developing prototypes that highlight future use cases and surfaces opportunities which bring value to Rice University and stakeholders. The position will be responsible for the experimentation, research, and analysis with emerging technologies in support of the mission of the emerging technology practice. This position will leverage information and expertise across Rice University as well as our active participation in the Houston innovation ecosystem to identify, frame, architect and develop use cases of next-gen technology relevant to Rice University and our community.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned technologist with a passion for emerging technology and experience architecting and engineering products and systems. S/he will have strong analytical and communications skills along with the abilities to succeed in a start-up like environment and collaborate in a large, global organization. The position reports to the vice president of international operations and IT/CIO.
Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementExperience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Education PreferredAdvanced degree in computer science or closely related area.
Experience Required10 years or moreType of ExperienceTen years of direct experience managing web infrastructure and frameworks, including various application servers, middleware, and web applications, including Drupal with some experience in the following:
- Capturing and writing emerging tech concepts and industry, business and client impact created for senior executives, business and technology colleagues, external audiences and client representatives
- Implementing best practices and new features/technologies and automating procedures/processes
- Managing administrative/business systems operations, budget forecasting, and infrastructure
- Managing and leading a team
Substitution for Experience RequirementEducation may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Experience Preferred- Experience in institutions of higher education
- Experience with emerging technologies and innovation
- Experience managing teams with the ability to work through organizational and staffing changes
- Experience with Drupal and WordPress content management platforms in a Cloud environment
- Experience with GIT repositories and source code control
- Experience in Web frameworks including server side programming languages, backend databases, APIs, as well as front end UI technologies
- Experience working in large, global and complex organizations as well as young, agile startup companies
License/Certification RequiredLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required- Extensive skills and experience across the technology stack with multiple software products, infrastructure, technologies and services demonstrating the ability to architect, lead and deliver innovative technology solutions
- Ability to act independently in determining methods and procedures on new assignments
- Knowledge of management principles, knowledge management, business development and information technology
- Demonstrates high levels of leadership, diplomacy, persuasion, analytical influence, and judgement skills
- Possess high level, advanced skills in verbal / visual / written communication, problem solving, conflict resolution, critical thinking and versatility
- Excellent project management, communication, and presentation skills
Skills PreferredExtensive knowledge in technology and its impact on business and the world at large
Ability to analyze organizations and systems with a creative and energetic perspective
- Understanding of software development methods, tools and environments
- Strong understanding of web and network protocols including HTTP, TCP/IP, IP SEC, SSL, Authentication (Identity, Shibboleth, SAML), DNS, VPN, VPC
- Strong conceptual and independent thinker with demonstrated experience in researching and analyzing technologies and market
- Comfortable and adept operating in a highly collaborative and matrixed environment
- Ability to implement changes to his/her organization to improve the organization’s effectiveness
- Ability to maintain contact and ensure inward relationships with the IT department, outward relationships with key stakeholders across the larger organization, and external relationships with vendors are managed well
Internal / External ContactsInternal contacts: extensive contact with faculty and staff across the university
Working ConditionsOffice environment. May require overtime and/or weekends to meet deadlines.
Essential PersonnelThis position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to support campus during emergency situations, and, may be required to provide related essential services remotely or on site before, during or after a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of CivilityServes as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/21962 Job Functions
Essential Functions- Manages, leads, transforms, mentors, and develops key staff through change leadership
- Communicates and implements organizational change to improve effectiveness in the changing environment and acts as a transformational change agent across multiple channels and various stakeholders, many of whom are not technologists
- Prioritizes positive impact of organizational change on key projects
- Improves efficiency of ongoing technology upgrades / migration
- Maintains effective, productive relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, collaborating on customer experience design and digital strategies
- Ensures that the administrative systems operations, budget forecasts, and infrastructure are well planned, engineered, coordinated, and managed to ensure good performance, reliability, and stability
- Ensures administrative operations are handled effectively, efficiently, and timely
- Maintains stable systems and prevents disruptions to system
Additional Functions or Information- Ensures premium web content – technically and functionally – throughout routine business, ongoing upgrades, conversions, and migrations
- Institutes “best practices” in web security and encryption
- Identifies, frames, architects, and develops potential use cases for transformational technologies, ranging from currently available technology to forecasted innovations in the following areas: digital customer journey, experience, and web personalization, artificial intelligence, user experience design and innovations through digital platforms, web-based communication and collaboration technologies and intelligent interface technologies, e.g. natural language processing, voice interface, and touch
- Plans and conducts experiments to create prototypes that demonstrate future use cases and their impact; bring to life the “art of possible” using emerging technology trends
- Leads and/or contributes to the creation of emerging technology-related presentations, executive briefings, blog posts and articles on a wide variety of media and build networks with emerging technology thought-leaders, researchers and innovators
- Engages as a thought-leader within the broader technology, education, and Houston-based industries for emerging technology strategy
- Acts as an emerging technology advisor to Rice’s centers, institutes, and research programs as needed
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- References/Recommendation Request
Supplemental QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have ten years of direct experience managing web infrastructure and frameworks, including various application servers, middleware, and web applications, including Drupal? (Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have some experience capturing and writing emerging tech concepts and industry, business and client impact created for senior executives, business and technology colleagues, external audie