- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Director of Site Reliability Engineering to join our Software Engineering Team.
Our Engineering team develops digital experiences to transform ideas into products that form delightful human connections. We build and support the technologies that power the digital side of our business, from our customer facing website to order fulfillment.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate is interested in building scalable infrastructure, adding system resiliency, improving developer productivity, automating everything that can (and should) be automated, as well as being a thoughtful people manager and leader. They will oversee a small team of SRE engineers responsible for overall site health and reducing operational issues as well as the long term strategy for our infrastructure.You will report to the VP of Engineering and be based in our Soho office.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What you’ll do:
- Conduct strategy and long term roadmap of our site reliability function and technology infrastructure
- Build out an SRE team from scratch
- Work on projects to improve scalability of our systems as we support more countries, fulfillment centers, shipping carriers, technology platforms, etc.
- Owning site uptime, monitoring/alerting, CI/CD, cloud networking, security, and overall performance
- Establish and monitor KPIs for reliability, throughput, quality, and controls; deliver dashboards that provide operational and executive views
- Being a technology leader, contributor to projects, including some coding, code reviews, and architectural discussions
- Partner with Application Engineering to maximize platform reliability through code, tools and monitoring improvements Who you are:
- 7+ years of site reliability engineering, devops, or related infrastructure experience
- 3+ years of engineering management experience
- 2+ years of retail and/or e-commerce experience
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS and Azure)
- Experience with data streaming platforms like Apache Kafka
- Experience with Heroku, or similar PaaS providers
- Proficiency in Ruby on Rails or Node You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We believe that getting away changes your understanding of the world around you. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And after three years with Away, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take an additional well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. As a global company, our benefits and perks vary by region, but they align with our commitment to support our employees’ wellbeing both inside and outside of work. We offer insurance coverage, financial contributions for retirement, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with snacks and coffee to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to
- do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs and grow your career along the way.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, company-wide trainings, and events, we’re building an inclusive environment where people can bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent and impact our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more… Dogs in the office, complimentary coffee with coworkers, weekly team lunches, quarterly team outings, and organized volunteer opportunities to give back to our local communities!
About the company