- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
EDP Programmer IIJob no: 503709
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Mathematics & Statistics
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Support the research and teaching missions of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, a large research and teaching department with several hundred computer users that teaches 15,000 students each year by maintaining the integrity of operating systems, software and hardware for workstations, desktop computers and servers in a highly dynamic multi-platform computing environment. This position supports the administration of all departmental UNIX/Linux, MacOS, and Windows computer systems and the department’s local area network. Assure that an effective and smooth running operation prevails and that the high standards set forth are maintained.
Examples of duties:
- Install, maintain and configure hardware components, operating systems and application software on workstations, desktops, and laptop computers. Includes creating and updating shell scripts for monitoring and improving system performance.
- Provision department computer systems and bring systems into compliance for security standards.
- Install, configure, customize and maintain mathematical / statistical software and editing software, e.g. Mathematica, SAS, R, MatLab, LaTeX, emacs, etc., on workstations, desktops, and laptop computers.
- Provide technical support to users of the department computing facilities. Assist in organizing and conducting computer training seminars, prepare teaching materials and other documents. Work closely with faculty, staff and students in support of their computing and networking needs.
- Use professional judgement as appropriate to independently research and resolve issues and problems that arise in system and network administration duties. Make suggestions for improvements and future growth related to the department computing environment (hardware, software and networking needs).
- Install, maintain and upgrade critical network services such as mail, WebWork, people, web site, print, network storage, and editors in a primarily UNIX and Linux- based server environment. Support departmental high performance Linux cluster.
- Install, customize and maintain network hardware and software components; monitor network operations.
- Install and maintain electronic system security tools; monitor system security. Use proactive prevention measures to maintain the security and integrity of departmental computer systems. Respond and take action regarding security events.
- Ensure compliance with existing industry and campus security and privacy standards and best practices. Perform infrastructure security evaluations and audits for the math department. Implement real time intrusion detection systems and wireless security auditing mechanisms.
- Develop and implement plans to insure high reliability and availability of critical systems within the department. Develop recovery plans to address minimizing outages and improve recovery time.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree (in Information Technology or related field) or an equivalent combination of education and training.
- Minimum of 2 years system administration experience with UNIX / Linux inter-operating with MacOS and Microsoft Windows.
- Experience supporting mail, web, file, print, identity management, backup, encryption, and network storage services.
- Experience using C, Perl, bash, and Python to customize in-house software.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
- Knowledge of computer network protocols, TCP/IP, NFS, SMTP, HTTP.
- Experience with Windows Server Administration. Experience managing high performance computing clusters.
- Experience with Centos and MacOS X.
- Experience in information security best practices and highly available enterprise network architecture and industry best practices.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Knowledge of TeX / LaTeX and other mathematical/statistical software desirable.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and to reach and move IT equipment
Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (37.5 hours per week)
Will include on-call, off hours emergency support
Special Instructions to Applicants
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Nov 7 2019 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Nov 13 2019 Eastern Standard Time