- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
CASES keeps people out of jail and prison by engaging them in effective services that help them achieve success in the community. We specialize in serving youth and young adults and people with behavioral health needs. CASES is a leading New York City provider of alternatives to incarceration, a key solution for a fairer criminal justice system. This is an important time at CASES. New York City is on track to create a smaller, safer, and fairer criminal justice system. Working at CASES is more than a job. It is an opportunity to promote justice for New Yorkers with access to high-quality and evidence-based court services.
- Develop relationships with teachers, guidance counselors and school administrators of those CASES participants identified as most at risk for truancy and poor school performance based on their educational histories and assessments. Because many truant participants remain engaged in program activities, the Education Coordinator will work to strengthen the link between the program and schools in order to reinforce participants’ connection to their schools.
- Work closely with students and parents to assist with any school placement needs that may arise.
- Work closely with team members to provide comprehensive education support for participants. Although participants’ legal cases arise in Manhattan, they may reside in and attend school in other boroughs, requiring the Education Coordinator to travel and conduct field work in the larger NYC as necessary to assist participants.
- Developing education success plans with participants and their families;
- Escorting participants and families to school appointments as needed;
- Assisting participant sand families with enrollments, re-enrollments, transfers and suspensions;
- Developing resources to support youth’s success including, but not limited to in-school supports, tutoring, etc
- Obtaining attendance for students and entering it in the database in a timely manner;
- Working with case coordinators, social workers, substance abuse counselors and teachers to coordinate a response plan for truant youth and sharing this plan with parents, schools and participants;
- Communicating with schools about activities and achievements of participants that are relevant to school success;
- Reviewing assessments to assist in development of education success plan
- Bachelors Degree required; specialization or Masters Degree in Education or related field a plus;
- Experience working within the Department of Education in NYC and or Charter schools;
- Patience and persistence navigating a large education system;
- Strong interest in youth and education;
- Comfort with traveling throughout the 5 boroughs;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people;
- Ability to navigate complex bureaucracies and develop creative approaches to building relationships
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with demonstrated experience and skills.CASES also offers an excellent benefits package.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
CASES is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with CASES is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status. We also actively recruit individuals with prior involvement in the criminal justice system.Your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.