- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Michigan Environmental Council (MEC) is a coalition of more than 60 organizations with offices in Lansing and Detroit. Created in 1980 to lead Michigan’s environmental movement. MEC combines deep environmental policy expertise, close connections to state and federal decision-makers and relationships with broad alliances to achieve positive public policy solutions to our most challenging environmental issues.
Reporting to the Engagement Director and working under daily supervision of several other senior staff , the Engagement Specialist is a critical resource to help MEC connect with Michigan’s people and environmental organizations, and to improve the accessibility, relevance and impact of MEC’s policy expertise and strategy.
This position provides general support for all of MEC’s programs and projects, facilitating member group engagement and expanding our partnerships to new organizations and institutions.
This is an entry level position where the employee will learn skills and gather experience in coalition management, leading to career options such as Engagement Director, Program Director and Policy Director..
- Develop and strengthen creative partnerships, research and communications projects to advance MEC initiatives.
- Develop and manage policy coalitions.
- Provide support to MEC’s functional and program staff, including event coordination, outreach, and communications.
- Coordinate and manage relationships with the coalitions led by MEC, and related networks and projects including setting up meetings, creating agendas, taking minutes, and engaging with members.
- Assemble meetings agendas, background materials and schedule meetings and phone calls.
- Represent MEC at select state, local and business meetings and events.
Coalition Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Support the CEO to expand and diversify MEC’s coalition.
- Assess the racial diversity of Michigan’s environmental community and build pipelines for people of color into nonprofit boards and staffs.
- Research, catalog and publicize MEC members’ issue and work priorities and network partnerships.
- Design and implement programming to improve MEC and its members’ support for environmental justice and disruption of issue racialization.
Agriculture, Groundwater and Surface Water
- Support the Program Director for agriculture, groundwater and surface water to create novel partnerships and build awareness of progressive resource management and protection strategies.
- Support the Program Director for environmental health to improve recognition of environmental determinants of health among health practitioners, hospitals and insurance providers.
- A degree in social work, organizational studies, management or similar field.
- Strong interpersonal relationship and teamwork skills.
- A proven strong work-ethic and willingness to go the extra mile.
- Comfort communicating on the phone, instant messenger, email
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google (GSuite)
- Two years’ experience in community organizing or other nonprofit work.
- Attention to detail and ability to manage and prioritize tasks from multiple administrators
- Aptitude for and interest in community organizing, politics and/or public policy
- Professional demeanor, sense of humor and positive attitude.
Other Position Notes
- This position is based in Lansing and requires occasional work days in Detroit and other locations. Some telecommuting is possible.
- This position requires occasional work outside normal hours, including evenings and weekends.
- This position requires access to a vehicle and regular travel statewide.
MEC provides staff with an industry-leading compensation package. The Engagement Specialist position includes a salary of $26,000 - $39,000 commensurate with experience; full medical, dental and vision benefits; organizational matching to a 403(b) retirement program and unlimited paid time off.
Submit a single PDF with 1) a strong, detailed cover letter, 2) a resume, and 3) at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Coalition Engagement Specialist” in the subject line. Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed. Please direct questions about the job description to CEO Conan Smith at email@example.com. Application review will begin December 3 and continue until the position is filled.